#1 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

Working out, with weights and swimming are very good exercises to improve endurance practicing archery, and holding the wall longer, waiting on Mr. big buck to walk out in view to give you a shot. While doing weight training to get fit, be careful not to lift too much weight and injure yourself. Be sensible. Do a light to comfortable weight, not too heavy. Swimming is a great exercise, because it works every muscle in the body and is also working out the cardiovascular system. It not only works out your muscles, but heart and lungs and breathing! Which will benefit you by making you stronger so you wont tire out too soon practicing target shooting, allowing for more practice, and also when Mr. big buck comes walking through the trees, getting stronger will allow you to hold the bow drawn back longer if necessary, so you get a clear shot. Make sure you check with your doctor and get a physical by your doctor and he gives you an ok before starting a workout, and make sure your workout plan is suitable with the doctor before starting it. Plus practice at least 3 times a week if possible shooting targets. If you need some help to improve your form and shooting, look up Larry Wise, and watch some of his videos.

Edited by David Clayton Harrison, 07 March 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#2 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Great topic, David. Conditioning is something that I have put off for way too long. Just thinking about it does not help, I found out. :no:

I need to shed a few pounds and really work my cardiovascular system. And, yes, strength conditioning is a must. I did a little target practice yesterday, and it was pretty sloppy. But, I will be ready for Spring turkey season.

Thanks for the reminder. I will hit the elliptical machine today. Might throw in a set of pushups too. :barbell:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I guess that just exercising with a knife and fork won't hack it. When I was still able to shoot a bow I got a 90# draw bow just to do strength exercises. I found that bow in a barrel with a bunch of other stick bows one time. I also used one of those chest exercisers that has springs in the middle and a handle on each end and drew it like a bow.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

I agree but you need to work as many diferant muscles as possible. I have a nephew, who works at a saw mill, who is both young and quite strong. It surprised the heck out of him when he wanted to try shooting my 65# draw bow, back when I was healthier. He couldn't do it! Not even half way! Further more, he couldn't believe that, not only could I draw it, but I could several times in a row. I tried exsplaining to him that when you draw a bow you are using muscles you don't normaly use. Just something to keep in mind.Posted Image

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

I've never had any trouble drawing or holding a bow for however long. My weak link is my fingers (I shoot bare fingers). Not much I know of that'll help that. When they start to wear out, my release gets loose and so do my groups. Even though it would totally ruin the traditional aspect of my recurve, I think this year I'll try to sight in with one of those releases that strap around your wrist. It should improve accuracy, and the amount of time I can practice in a day.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

I have to agree David. Especially after such a long winter here most probably have packed on a few extra pounds. I do some weight lifting myself plus use a stationary machine for other weight training. I do find what you're saying is true about my bow, rifle or even hand gun shooting, it does improve form its effects if I stay up on my weekly training. I don't do much more than a half hour two or three times a week but if don't I notice it. Like I said not very long ago just because you're getting old (aren't we all) doesn't mean you have to get weaker, now I'm no twenty year old but weight training does slow the process.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

My finding are that the best way to stay in shape is to not let yourself get out of shape.

One's success and enjoyment in regards to hunting can rely on your ability to move over whatever you get faced with on your journey.

I know I am odd, but hunting almost 12 months out of the year and competing in 1-2 strength events yearly keeps me motivated to keep my body strong and heart rate up in the down times

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Well, I have had two cardio sessions on the elliptical machine. Threw in a couple a set of push ups and crunches. Now, I am motivated to lose 10-15 pounds. Starting to watch what I eat. It is a good feeling. :yes:

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Well, I have had two cardio sessions on the elliptical machine. Threw in a couple a set of push ups and crunches. Now, I am motivated to lose 10-15 pounds. Starting to watch what I eat. It is a good feeling. Posted Image

We are all behind ya Micky - it's a mindset thing - you just have to say I'll make time to do it - sounds like to me you are there-- best of luck.

When I get home from work that will be my thing to do first is hit the weights! But I'd rather go out and play with my bow arrows firstPosted Image .
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users