• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

I am thinking of doing a little carp shooting this summer and have a 28 pound recurve and a 37 pound recurve that I may be able to pull back with my shoulder problems. Would that be enough poundage to do the job?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Paul, I did a little searching for you and found a site about getting started bow fishing. They said that almost any bow will do and they started out using recurves in the 20# to 30# range so I'd say you should have no problem with yours.

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

I think a couple things that will determine if a particular poundage is sufficient is the size of fish you'll typically be encountering and the distance most shots will be taken at.

Where I used to bowfish on the St. Lawrence River, it wasn't uncommon to snag 25 to 35 lb carp with a few tipping the scales at 40 to 50 lbs. If you'll be shooting fish under 20 lbs, then high poundages aren't really needed, but for them big lunkers, you might want to up the bow a bit.

I used to wear chest waders and carefully walk through the rushes looking for carp that were only 5 to 10 feet from me. Low poundage bows will work fine in those circumstances. If you'll be shooting from shore or from a platform on a boat at passing fish 10 to 15 plus yards away, then I think you'd want a little more bow of over 40 lbs or more if you can handle it.

I used to use compounds set at 50 to 55 lbs, but compounds can sometimes be a nightmare if the string gets caught up in the bow's rigging. There is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of a recurve. And using the KISS principle certainly has it's advantages.

Some of my buddies, who were first and foremost, big game hunters, had a total blast bowfishing carp. On a real good day when the fish are in the shallows and the water is calm, you can be shooting just about as fast as you can rereel your string. And be prepered to get wet. It's a real hoot!

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Thanks guys. I would most likely be shooting either from the bank or the boat. These carp are in the 5 lb range and smaller. Guess I have to try the bow and see if I can draw it back. Shoulder problems will not let me shoot anything approaching the 50 lb range.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Either will suffice depending upon exact water depth. Hey, in PA the 37 pounder would even be legal for deer hunting. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

We'd try to limit our shots at fish no deeper than about 2 or 3 feet, less was better. Any deeper than that and the water refraction factor just made it way too hard to estimate how much to shoot under them, plus your arrow looses velocity really fast. The further away from the fish (horizontally) the greater the refraction.

Be prepared to stay for the day if the fishin' (bowfishing) is good, 'cause you won't want it to end!

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users