12 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Anyone else notice the trend for many buying up .22's. You have Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson and a few others making copies of AR 15's in .22. You've got .22 conversion kits selling like hotcakes and many new pistols and rifles chambered for .22's as well. Talked to a lot of people lately and seems they're buying .22's for the same reason that Jason bought his Ruger SR22. They are just plain inexspensive to shoot. Think it's a sign of the times with ammo being both scarce and exspensive. .22s are both easy to find and reasonably cheap compared to other calibers. Also, as a survival weapon, you can carry a large number of rounds fairly easily and can hunt a wide variety of game. Heck, though certainly not legal, .22s have probably killed more deer than all the other calibers combined.

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 March 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Norm I'm thinking about trying to track down a Marlin model 60. Dad has one that I shot growing up, and I love the model. Best squirrel gun I ever used. I just don't like shooting them with shotguns...... it's rough having to pick out all the pellets. The 22 on the other hand is great one shot right behind the shoulder and down they go.
Semper Fi

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

Norm I'm thinking about trying to track down a Marlin model 60. Dad has one that I shot growing up, and I love the model. Best squirrel gun I ever used. I just don't like shooting them with shotguns...... it's rough having to pick out all the pellets. The 22 on the other hand is great one shot right behind the shoulder and down they go.

Terry, they've got a bunch of them on GunBroker.com if you can't find one locally.

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'm trying to think of a way to help some of my ammo cost. When I was 14 years old, I was an explorer scout working on an indoor shooting range on Dayton road in springfield. The end of the range had some steel deflector set-up on the wall to stop and contain the lead bullets. It was much smaller than the long traps you find at most indoor ranges. As I mentioned back in Feb., I bought a bullet mold for my .50 BP. If I could make a small deflector to place behind targets over a sand box, I could recollect, melt, flux and recast bullets without buying more lead. I don't know about how practicle this might be, but when I have more time to try it, I'll let you all know how (or if) it works out.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

HC about the only negative I can think of is the unknown hardness of the lead. Bullets for muzzleloading should be as pure of lead as you can get. I do have a bullet trap made out of very heavy steel. I has a forward angled back and a flat bottom. The bottom is Filled with sand and the front part of the bottom is curved to the rear. I have never shot at it though but may get it out to do a little 22 shooting and see how well it works. I you would like I can take some pics of mine to show you how it is made.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

HC about the only negative I can think of is the unknown hardness of the lead. Bullets for muzzleloading should be as pure of lead as you can get. I do have a bullet trap made out of very heavy steel. I has a forward angled back and a flat bottom. The bottom is Filled with sand and the front part of the bottom is curved to the rear. I have never shot at it though but may get it out to do a little 22 shooting and see how well it works. I you would like I can take some pics of mine to show you how it is made.

Sounds good. I would only use it for muzzleloaders so the lead would be about the same. Those are getting to be the only guns I really enjoy shooting anymore. I saw another forum where a guy was wanting to buy 2000 lbs of lead while the prices were low. Somehow, I can't imagine that seeming practical to anyone. But, if I ever shoot that much I would rather recycle the lead than just leave it in a dirt mound and keep buying more. Did you buy or make yours? And did you ever try to recycle any lead or just use it for a backstop?
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Paul, you think I could get a couple pics of that too bud? I'd sure apreciate it. Jason and I have been talking about setting up a shooting range. As much as we shoot it is something we really need to do. Thanks buddy. Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

OK if I get the chance tomorrow I'll root it out and take some pics and make some measurements. I have an eye dr appointment tomorrow morning and have a contracter comming to start a bathroom project and have to get taxes done too.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

OK if I get the chance tomorrow I'll root it out and take some pics and make some measurements. I have an eye dr appointment tomorrow morning and have a contracter comming to start a bathroom project and have to get taxes done too.

No hurry buddy, just when ever you get the chance. You have a busy day so take care of buiseness and then get some rest.

#10 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

I know I want to buy another .22 rifle,plus get my old one fixed too............(it has a weak spring in it,that needs replaced).......
So many .22's out there now,its just a pick of the litter I guess.........Might buy the Ruger 10/22,looks like alot of toys can be added to it to look very awesome......
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

I kinda forgot about taking pics of the bullet trap. I cant do it just yet as I cannot lift anything that heavy but as soon as my eye heals I will do that.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

I kinda forgot about taking pics of the bullet trap. I cant do it just yet as I cannot lift anything that heavy but as soon as my eye heals I will do that.

No hurry bud. For myself, I'm still hurting too much to build it yet. Hmmmm, Jason could though. Posted Image Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

Hey maybe I could get Eric to get that trap out so I could take a pic or two. I didn't think of my most able bodied assistant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users