• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

A beautiful day here in Northern Wisconsin, 48 degrees, sunny, a little wind.. nice no jacket required weather. I decided to shoot a flintlock today, so I picked the Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber. I have not shot it for a while and had purchased some 250 grain XTP sabots (sabots included) on sale at a store. I tried some of them in my CVA .54 with no luck, and I have had the Lyman shoot sabots pretty good in the past, so I decided to try that rifle. I started out with 90 grains of Goex 2f, 4f primer powder, a cut agate flint, and .530 roundball and moose milk combination.

Posted Image

As usual, the rifle threw the first shot. But the next five were good and tight. A little off the bull but at 30 yards I am not going to get too excited at this point. The rifle's ignition time was flawless. I then swabbed the bore and loaded 90 grains of powder and this time the 250 sabots. I was too lazy to change targets, so I shot five rounds at the same target.

Posted Image

I was too lazy to swab. If I had swabbed, I might have got a tighter group. As the barrel fouled, it started to move them to the right a little. BUT it was a lot of fun.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and noticed that some of the grapefruit that had become science experiments in the refrigerator this winter were now showing their evil heads in my melting snow. I then hammered them with a 250 grain XTP's. You can really make a frozen grapefruit fly when you hit them. A LOT of fun there.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Well my friend you are still in great form and sure made that flintlock do it's best. I am in the middle of a bathroom project and the days are near perfect for some shooting but have to put it off till the bathroom is finished.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

I was going to shoot today but can not do it. My coffee maker died this morning :cry: . I had to boil some in a pan to get my morning cup. I can not function during the day with out that evil brew. So I am driving 80 miles round trip and get me another maker. Maybe this one will last 15 years, like the last one.. :lol:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

Looks like some mighty fine shooting there! We keep a "cowboy coffee pot" (old stovetop percolator) on hand for just such dire emergencies. One can do without a lot of things, but not the old morning joe. And when everything goes kaput, we keep a Coleman stove in the back closet so we can still put the pot on. :boone:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

I recall we got up one morning a while ago and we still had nearly 3/4 of a pot in the coffee maker but the power was off. Oh well I had to make do with a steel measuring cup and a propane torch but still had my cup of joe. Infact I had several cups that way. The wife just shook her head.

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Great shooting CAY!.....and Paul, Judy was shaking her head because you made her hold the torch while you used the frizzen pan on your Hawkins to light the propane!Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 18 March 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

It did not happen just that way but sure is an excellent idea to be filed away for future Rube Goldberg adventures. By the way Rube Goldberg was the original redneck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users