• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

With Leo's video and my sighting tonight of a huge gobbler going to roost where he has been going for several years. I have a view of the fields across the valley that go about a third of the way up the mountain. I can watch from the comfort of my room with a spotting scope and tonight I finally saw a biggun. This tom has been roosting in this area for the past two or three years and has made a fool of both Eric and I for as long. If this is the same bird that Phil and I saw in January while muzzleloader hunting just below there it is one huge bird but a smart old one too. Now I only have to wait till 1 May. Way to go Leo I am all fired up with no place to go. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hey, why should i be the only one chomping at the bit? Posted Image When season rolls around I sure hope you get a shot at him Paul. Wishing you luck.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

I wish you luck Paul. Best tip I can give you is don't give up. For me anyway the older bigger birds seem to be the most vulnerable late morning and late afternoon.
Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I can't wait either Paul. I talked to the landowner of the place I'm going to be hunting earlier this week and found out where he has been seeing birds, which is in a spot I'll be able to get into very easily in the dark without making much noise.

The birds have never had any hunting pressure there, so I'm hoping that improves my chances. In fact, there are very few turkey hunters around here. Turkeys have not quite reached the popularity around here that deer have.
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Leo that is one of the problems hunting here in PA we can only hunt spring birds till noon. If you are in the woods after 1:00pm you had better not have a gun. You can roost them but cannot hunt em going to roost. This old bird would not even follow the hens last spring nor would he follow the jakes. He just stood above us and gobbled for a couple of hours and then walked off. We may have a bit of an advantage as there are a whole bunch of tree tops at the top corner of the field where if we can sneak to them he will be coming home with us.

Eric Good luck on that neat sounding place. Your best bet is to try to sneak as close as possible in the dark and get set up. As it starts to get light you can let out a few soft yelps and then shut up till at least you are sure the gobbler is on the ground. As soon as you make a sound a gobbler knows exactly where you are. If he is interested and has no hens with him he will most likely land and come in on his own.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

Good luck Eric. Sounds like you have a real good chance of scoring. Be prepared to be hooked for life. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users