8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Ok, this is probably a dumb question. Not my first and not my last. When you travel by air to go on a muzzleloader hunt what do you do about powder or pellets? I really can't see them allowing you to take them on a plane, but they do let you take live ammo as long as it's in a locked metal container seperate from your firearm so it has me wondering. Jason and I will be traveling, quite possibly by air, to hunt with RL this year. We'll be going after mule deer and will be hunting with our CVA Optimas so I need to know. It's no real problem if we have to buy pellets there. We use 777 which isn't hard to find.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

When I flew to New Mexico with my muzzleloader I arranged with my son-in-law to have powder there for us but bullets should not be any problem. Primers may be ok too but if not have RL have some powder and primers there waiting for you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

When I flew to New Mexico with my muzzleloader I arranged with my son-in-law to have powder there for us but bullets should not be any problem. Primers may be ok too but if not have RL have some powder and primers there waiting for you.

You know Paul, I didn't even think of primers. Well duh! Posted Image Thanks, I'll see if RL can do that for us. I think it would be cool if Dave Watson did a segment on air travel and what you can take on a plane as well as how to pack your gear. I know a back up plan is a good idea. When I flew to Wyoning with Dave I got the scare of my life. At the Cheyenne Airport everyones gear was there but my new Encore was AWOL! Luckily they had it in an office, not sure why though. Sure put a seriouse scare in me!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

CORRECTION: After I thought about it for a while we did not take our guns with us on the plane. We shipped them UPS along with most of our hunting gear the week before we flew. UPS did not have as many restrictions as the airlines. Nowdays being charged up to $50 per bag for checked baggage it may be cheaper to do that.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

CORRECTION: After I thought about it for a while we did not take our guns with us on the plane. We shipped them UPS along with most of our hunting gear the week before we flew. UPS did not have as many restrictions as the airlines. Nowdays being charged up to $50 per bag for checked baggage it may be cheaper to do that.

Thanks a bunch Paul. That's something we hadn't considered. If Jason can get the time off work we may just drive out there. It's hard for him to take much time off though.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

The last time I heard, only "contained ammunition" (cartridges etc.) were okay as long as tucked away in checked baggage as you're describing. (If you think about it, even B.P. substitutes like 777 are more easily combustible than smokeless powder and the cases or canisters they're generally sold in are more like a small bomb, should the worst happen, than a single contained cartridge.)

Of course, you'll really just want to check with the airline. Most of their web sites now have a whole section dedicated to what you can and can't take and even how it should be packed. (If all else fails I'd call them up.)

If it were me, I'd definitely just have R L have what you need there waiting already. (Even rather than just trying to get some when you get there just in case the local stores might be sold out of what you need by that time of year. :doh2: :lol: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

It's still not certain but we are starting to lean heavily towards just driving. Of course it would take longer but it would be easier to get our gear there safely and reliably plus it would be easier to bring back anything we might harvest. Thanks for the advice guys.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

Spirithawk that is exactly why I drive 1100 miles to Kansas twice a year. With the cost of gas the price tag for flying may be close to the cost for driving but hey I can take what I want and getting what I kill out there home is no problem. Plus I have transportation while I am there too. Then there are the deviations from the straight shot to visit. Priceless!!!

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

Spirithawk that is exactly why I drive 1100 miles to Kansas twice a year. With the cost of gas the price tag for flying may be close to the cost for driving but hey I can take what I want and getting what I kill out there home is no problem. Plus I have transportation while I am there too. Then there are the deviations from the straight shot to visit. Priceless!!!

Now see there, I don't care what Judy says about you, I knew you were smart! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users