19 replies to this topic

#1 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Looks like I am going to get to go on an feral hog hunt. My brother, Kenny, helps a local helicopter pilot with coyote and hog eradication. They were up in the panhandle of Texas this week and Kenny was the gunner. He was using a 12 gauge with buck shot. Looks like they will be heading to a 55 section ranch in a few weeks to work on the estimated 2500 feral hog population. Two helicopters will carry three shooters flying all day long. They plan on having 3-4 groups of 3 shooters to work in shifts. Going to use AR15s. This will be quite an experience, and we will be videoing from the four seater (R44).

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Cool Micky. Good luck and don't fall out!Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Oh, we will be strapped in. I have hung out the side of the helicopter with a video camera during whitetail deer surveys. It is really a fun experience. Flying in the cold weather might prove to be a totally different experience though. Hopefully it will be in the 70-80 degree range for the hog hunt.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Oh, we will be strapped in. I have hung out the side of the helicopter with a video camera during whitetail deer surveys. It is really a fun experience. Flying in the cold weather might prove to be a totally different experience though. Hopefully it will be in the 70-80 degree range for the hog hunt.

Micky I just saw a hunt like this on youtube. It was very crazy but they were dropping hogs left and right with the AR15. Have fun!!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Reminds me of that scene in Full Metal Jacket w/ the gunner on the helicopter. "Git some, git some, yeah, git some". Just don't have too much fun.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Does anybody or groups head in after to pick up the hogs? Seems like a perfect opportunity to help out food banks or those less fortunate.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#7 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Does anybody or groups head in after to pick up the hogs? Seems like a perfect opportunity to help out food banks or those less fortunate.

TBow

Not that I know of. These hogs are destroying property, hurting livestock and game populations. The point of this is to kill as many as possible. I believe that they plan on flying at least three different days with a goal of killing 1500 or more. In fact, they have a lofty goal of 1000 the first day. Seems impossible, but we will see.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

Helio Hog hunting
Can't embed this one - request denied by YouTube or the folks that videoed it. Some of these fall in some hard places to even find them. Coyotes must be very well fed after a hunt like this.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 March 2010 - 08:13 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

Helio Hog hunting
Can't embed this one - request denied by YouTube or the folks that videoed it. Some of these fall in some hard places to even find them. Coyotes must be very well fed after a hunt like this.

Yes, I have seen that video. I hope that I can shoot half as well as those guys. We had to cancel today due to high winds. Looks like we are heading up there this evening and flying tomorrow. Only taking one helicopter (R44) though.

#10 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

Man, what a blast! 110 hogs and 9 coyotes the first two hours. This is the most fun I have ever had with a firearm. We are rotating two man teams every hour. Third team out right now. Unfortunately, we have not had time to video any of it.

#11 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Update. As of 3:30 were have killed 330 hogs and 19 coyotes.

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

That's a lot of shooting! Sure sounds like there was a very serious problem.
Posted Image

#13 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

460 hogs and 30 coyotes and counting. We are done, but there are still some guys in the air.

Edited by Micky, 28 March 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

What a bbq that would make.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

The official count is 550 hogs and 48 coyotes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users