Some quick snapshots from my iPhone.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like an absolute blast to me, Micky! I saw Kenny mention it on another forum. I haven't checked back in, but it looked like one or two members there were about to complain about shootin' up that many piggies without rounding each and every one up for grub. Hey, I'm all for eating what you kill and having that mentality (and I'm sure you guys did round some up for the BBQ pit). But, some folks just don't understand that this is more like exterminating rodents than anything... A true necessity when so overrun.
Plus, "Black Guns" are just cool. B)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#18 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Sounds like an absolute blast to me, Micky! I saw Kenny mention it on another forum. I haven't checked back in, but it looked like one or two members there were about to complain about shootin' up that many piggies without rounding each and every one up for grub. Hey, I'm all for eating what you kill and having that mentality (and I'm sure you guys did round some up for the BBQ pit). But, some folks just don't understand that this is more like exterminating rodents than anything... A true necessity when so overrun.
Plus, "Black Guns" are just cool. B)

People need to understand that the purpose of this is not sport or hunting. It is an eradication program that the land owner pays for. That helicopter is being charged by the hour. We have to kill as many hogs and coyotes as possible while in the air. Heck, we did not even have time to video any of it. The land owner was not paying for us to video. There is no way for a ground crew to follow the helicopter around and search for dead pigs. It would not be safe for someone to be on the ground anywhere near us. Just not practical. If they want pig meat, it would be easy enough to go shoot one...or ten. The helicopter was in the air for ten hours. The pilot took a break for lunch. The rest of the time was pure business. But, it was fun getting to shoot. I will go again in a heart beat. Posted Image

Kenny told me about that thread and those comments. Sounds like the same old stuff over there. Oh, well.

#19 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

People need to understand that the purpose of this is not sport or hunting. It is an eradication program that the land owner pays for. That helicopter is being charged by the hour. We have to kill as many hogs and coyotes as possible while in the air. Heck, we did not even have time to video any of it. The land owner was not paying for us to video. There is no way for a ground crew to follow the helicopter around and search for dead pigs. It would not be safe for someone to be on the ground anywhere near us. Just not practical. If they want pig meat, it would be easy enough to go shoot one...or ten. The helicopter was in the air for ten hours. The pilot took a break for lunch. The rest of the time was pure business. But, it was fun getting to shoot. I will go again in a heart beat. Posted Image

Kenny told me about that thread and those comments. Sounds like the same old stuff over there. Oh, well.

Micky that's some cool couple of shots with the phone. Looks like someone going to the hog wars. Posted Image With that count of dead hogs and yotes I bet the rancher was happy. You guys dropped the hog problem by about 22% in one day.

I have talked to one rancher/farmer and one high fence guy from down in Texas and each one said basically the same thing about fighting the battle of the invading hogs and the damage they cause. The high fence guy I met said they have a helicopter setup with a shooter or two every six months to kill hogs and yotes on their place and still can't keep up. He clearly said it was not a hunting deal but eradication issue like you said and the hogs drop and lay there. He explained you can't get to half them before the meat spoils due to location and you definitely aren't allowed on the property while the helicopter is scheduled that day cause it is so unsafe.
Some folks want wild hogs here in Ohio but after talking to this fellow I wasn't so positive about it. He said hogs are found like the deer are here inside the city now and the car/hog collisions are on the rise.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 30 March 2010 - 01:14 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#20 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

Micky looks like ya'll had fun. I've personally seen what feral pigs can do to land. I hunt a WMA that has quite a few feral pigs on it, and the AGFC asks all hunters to shoot them on sight and then it's your choice to take them or leave them where they lay. If the forestry services are asking for people to erradicate them, there must be a good reason, no?

Rowdy, if I get the chance, I'll take some pictures and send them to you. If someone says they want wild pigs in Ohio again all you'll have to do is show them the pictures to change their mind. They're like bulldozers, they'll get into a spot, and root and wallow and everything else, eating up all the vegetation and scarring the land horribly.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 20 July 2010 - 06:33 AM.

Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users