#1 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

It would be interesting to see a carbon fiber hunting bow! I love my Dxt, and the Z7 is amazing and perfect! I love Mathews bows better than any other bow, and thought maybe it would be nice to have an all carbon fiber hunting bow made by Mathews to hunt with, that was somthing between a Z7 and Reezen, but all carbon fiber! Please make a bow like this, thanks, DCH. Thanks for making the Dxt and Z7!!! They are so perfect! If you make one, Please keep the cost fair and reasonable, Thanks, DCH

Edited by David Clayton Harrison, 26 March 2010 - 02:27 AM.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Clay have you shot the Hoyt Carbon Matrix? Is that why you're asking Mathews to engineer one?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Yes. But I am a Mathews fan. I liked it but it was too expensive, and it was not a Mathews. If Mathews made one with a shorter ATA for hunting, it would be cheaper, and a Mathews, the only bow I ever want to purchase and shoot. Matt is a Christian and helps spread the Word of God in singing and Missions. He is a respectable Man. I look up to him and want to support what he does and his company. Here are some advantages of him producing a Carbon fiber hunting bow, besides, no one (other company, competetor) has produced one.

Carbon advantages if made correctly:

Slightly lighter
Better damping (vibration)
Stiffer
Able to me made in shapes not possible with aluminum
Let's face it - cool factor

Disadvantages:

Higher cost
Small weight savings compared to aluminum
I agree, plus it is Dodge ram proof and Ford tuff, but with the shorter ATA, it could be cheaper than an Carbon Matrix!

Edited by David Clayton Harrison, 26 March 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

I hate to break it to you, Clay, but with the price of carbon fiber these days I would imagine that any offering from Mathews would be in the same, if not higher, price range regardless of the length of the riser.

I've learned to never say never with Mathews, but, honestly, HCA was making carbon fiber risers before Hoyt was even making parallel limb bows and they really didn't sell all that well. I gathered that the Matrix was a limited edition that Hoyt put out just 'cause they could... Not so much as a sign of things to come. But, who knows.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

...HCA was making carbon fiber risers before Hoyt was even making parallel limb bows and they really didn't sell all that well.

It's been a few years, but did HCA market that bow as one you could dry fire x amount of times with no issues?

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

It's been a few years, but did HCA market that bow as one you could dry fire x amount of times with no issues?

Yes. But, I don't think that campaign lasted very long after a demo went wrong at an outdoor show. o_0
They did continue to say that you could shoot arrows as light as 3 grains per pound out of those bows (speed) though.
I dunno... The bows were nice and light... Not the prettiest. (Solid risers - no cutouts/machining.)
With the increased cost of military grade carbon fiber I just don't see it being mainstream for a hunting bow today in the current economy. But, who knows.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Yes. But, I don't think that campaign lasted very long after a demo went wrong at an outdoor show. o_0
They did continue to say that you could shoot arrows as light as 3 grains per pound out of those bows (speed) though.
I dunno... The bows were nice and light... Not the prettiest. (Solid risers - no cutouts/machining.)
With the increased cost of military grade carbon fiber I just don't see it being mainstream for a hunting bow today in the current economy. But, who knows.

It's not just the cost of carbon fiber. Resins for composites are inextricably tied to the cost of oil. Oil is where we get the chemicals necessary to formulate the resins required to fabricate composites.
Posted Image

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

I thought that was the right bow. Wouldn't you think they would realize a string isn't going to take that punishment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users