• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Eric and I went scouting up at our camp this morning. We should have known better as the temp this morning at my house was 20 degrees. At the top of the mountain it could easily been 10 or 15 degrees as it is higher in elevation. We arrived and got out of Erics stone cold truck ( heater quit) and the silence was deafening. We did hear one gobble but was waaaay off so far off it was off our property. Moved to another spot and the only thing we heard was a dove cooing and a grouse drumming. This evening I did see a gobbler going to roost across the valley so he is still there. Also saw 4 deer earlier this afternoon run past my house and saw 11 deer in the fields across the valley too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I worked birds three different times this past week. Even had to sprint out of an area because I clucked a few times and three gobblers started running toward me. Didn't want to ruin the area, but our season is still nearly a month away!

Indiana's season is too late.

On the bright side, my buddy in the pan handle of Florida killed his bird yesterday. It was his first on their lease.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Mark that is why I leave all my calls at home on a scouting trip. I do have a couple of calls that will elicit a shock gobble. A coyote howler and a crow call. No sense educating a potential shooter bird with a turkey call. They will only come in so often and then will just ignore that call especially if they come in and there is no hen there. PA's season starts 1 May which I think is too late too. At least the hens have most all been bred by that time so shooting the dominate gobbler doesen't make much difference.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Paul, it's the same here, our season comes in a week or two too late. Most of the hens have been bred already

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

I went out behind my house this evening to listen for birds going to roost. I did not hear a thing but on my way out the cornfield at about 6:30 I walked right out to the flock of birds. Man I had birds running and flying all over. Oops I did not intend to have them see me but since it is a month before our season no real harm done.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I went out behind my house this evening to listen for birds going to roost. I did not hear a thing but on my way out the cornfield at about 6:30 I walked right out to the flock of birds. Man I had birds running and flying all over. Oops I did not intend to have them see me but since it is a month before our season no real harm done.

Now Paul, no need to fret. I don't think one turkey seeing another will spook them. Even if the biggest one is smoking a pipe. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users