#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

Posted Image

That's a picture of my son Casey shooting my recurve. I took it to my buddy Scott Mitchel, owner and bowyer of TimberHawk Bows Inc. I picked out a new wood quiver that will attach to the riser - should make this an even prettier piece of art and more efficient killing machine.

I'll post up as soon as I get it back, was wondering what others use for a quiver while hunting - how do you quietly conceal your hunting arrows and have them at the ready?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

It's interesteing that you and your son are shooting a recurve, and I'm guessing instinctive. I'm seeing somewhat of a renewed interest in trad equipment lately. Not sure if it's just a fad, but I hope not, because I really likke the looks and feel of wood riser recurves and longbows.

When I started bowhunting, I used one of the Bear clamp-on quivers that just sort'a wrapped around the upper and lower limbs. Then the introduction of brass inserts into the risers allowed for bolt-ons and even removeables such as was with the Quikee Quiver which was one of the first. I'm talking the early to mid 70s, so I'm going back a while for most.

If I was to take one of my trad bows out now for a hunt, I think I'd likely opt for a back Cat Quiver with broadhead protector. It allows for free movement without getting all tangled up in the thick brush I sometimes encounter and lets me keep the bow unencumbered for the simplistic design they were meant to have.

Watching some of the recurve segments in hunting shows like Bowhunter TV Magazine and Fred Eichlin in Easton's Bowhunting, brings a smile to my face everytime I see them loose an arrow from those marvels of historical design.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

My use of traditional equipment goes back beyond the 70s back to a time when that was all there was. I always used a back quiver. I tried the ones that hooked on the limbs when they came out but found it changed the bow enough that I did not like them. Later on I tried the bolt on type but to me it unbalanced the bow and was downright ugly. I always was intrigued by the type of back quiver that covered both the top and bottom of the arrow and was removed from the side but never did get one of them. A leather back quiver can fold on the arrows making them difficult to remove with a broadhead on them. When I set up at location I always removed the back quiver and sat it infront of me or beside me with an arrow removed and resting against the quiver within reach if I needed a second shot. Another shortfall of the back quiver or any quiver for that matter is manuvering it through underbrush. I always felt that everything out there would and could and did reach out and catch my arrows no matter the manner of carry.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

PA,
I seriously started bowhunting for big game around 1972 or 73, but I had always held a fascination with the bow and arrow since the early 60s when I'd take my dad's 35 lb wooden longbow out in the fields to shoot frogs and toads (or anything else that seemed like fair game to a 10 year old). And yes I used to do the "shoot an arrow straight up into the air" in an open field and then loose sight of it......and where it will land, nobody knows! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! But I had a lot of fun with some of my buddies going on adventures into the local fields and ponds every chance we got.

My dad got an old Ben Pearson solid fibreglass 55 lb recurve around 1965 and I used it until I got my first real hunting bow in the early 70s, a Browning Explorer I. I've still got that bow hanging on the wall as well as the old wooden longbow and the Ben Pearson recurve that were both my dad's.

And I hear you on the wrap around quivers altering the cast characteristics of the bow. I'd never go back to that, but would choose the back mounted Cat Quiver with broadhed and fletching coverings as you described.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

I'll be really interested to see what you guys think of this quiver when I get my bow back. It'a a beautiful work of art - layers of wood, carved and swept - very pretty. The hood has a carved arrow head on it that really stands out nice.

Scott uses one to hunt, but trad hunters are all different with different backgrounds and different tastes. I have a nice leather back quiver that's great for target shooting, but way too noisy and impractical for hunting as you guys have already mentioned.

I've seen the cat quivers and they do look like they'd work nicely, but don't fit well with carrying a portable treestand...guess I could strap it on the stand like I do my backpack...
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

I got my first bow back in the middle or late 50s. I hunted for a couple of years till I got my first deer, a doe. I can still take you to the spot I got it too. My best friend and I did a few crazy things like take an old arrow and tape a firecracker to it like a cherry bomb or a tnt salute and shoot it into the air. We found that when you shot it the fuse would slow way down and the arrow was almost back to the ground till the firecracker went off. We would draw the bow back and the other guy would light the fuse and then you had to hold the bow at full draw while that fuse burned nearly all the way down. That is something that I would definately not recommend doing because if that salute would have ever gone off it would have destroyed not only the arrow but most likely the bow to say nothing of what it would have done to ones hand. Aah the innocense/stupidity of youth.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:25 AM

Do any of you guys have pictures of your trad hunting quivers and rigs?

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Don't have the arrowhead on the wooden hood yet - he's still making it - but this is what it looks like right now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

WOW! Very nice. That thing's just to dadgum purty to take into the woods! Posted Image

Geoff / TBow

#10 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

get a back quiver like robin hood!

#11 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

Thanks.

I have a nice leather back quiver and practice with it quite a bit. But arrows clanging around loose, especially with broadheads on them, just doesn't work for hunting.

I've shot it for two evenings now with the quiver on. There were some noise issues and I've solved all of those. The bow does shoot a little differently, but manageable. I'll have to say I prefer to shoot with it off, but don't have a hunting solution better than this one.

I'm all ears if someone has a better idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users