Turkey Hunters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

I've been advocating this for about 3 or 4 years now.

Enjoy.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Jeremiah -- I had not seen this one before. This guy knows his stuff and very convincing. Okay now are you taking me bow hunting turkeys this season? I promise Posted Image - I will not bring up politics or religion- I forget the other thing not to bring up in polite conversation. Posted Image Posted Image I want to see you cut that gobblers head off with one of these broad heads. Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 April 2010 - 10:40 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

i normally think of bow hunting as a lil inhumane but wow that makes me want to go hunt turkeys with a bow now, the way it took its head off was so cool!

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Jerimiah. I haven't had much luck getting one with my Xbow. I'm sure going to keep trying and believe that the broadheads that takes their head off is my best chance for success.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

i normally think of bow hunting as a lil inhumane but wow that makes me want to go hunt turkeys with a bow now, the way it took its head off was so cool!

I know several people who feel that way, Timothy. Unfortunately, there are "slobs" in all walks of life. Within archery, many of them end up making the news or something by shooting someone's house cat in the head, or some other shot that never should be taken with a bow (especially on someone's pet, obviously!). But, the video of a cat running around still alive with an arrow stuck in it makes for good drama, I guess. It's knuckleheads like that who get the press and make things seem different from what they actually are though.

I promise you that a well placed arrow is every bit as lethal as a well placed bullet, for example. I have seen elephants fall to bow and arrow. I, myself, killed a ~500# Russian pig about 5 years ago with bow and arrow. The shot was through the heart. The pig took one step forward and proceeded to fall backwards. It was dead before I even lowered my bow arm. (Even faster than the hog I took 3 years earlier with a 50 caliber muzzleloader which was also a heart shot.) I actually believe that bowhunting, when done by skilled and responsible individuals, is less stressful on animals. The sound of a bow going off just doesn't often spook an animal the way that a gun blast almost always does. It's not unusual at all to see an animal that has been arrowed trot a short distance, lay down, and expire right there. (By contrast, even the sound of a firearm going off tends to scatter every animal in the vicinity.)

I encourage you to seriously consider giving it a try. Check in on some used archery equipment. (This is the perfect time of year for it. Plenty of time to practice up before the fall.) Just be sure to visit a reputable archery shop first up so you can at least have your draw length figured out and get a feel for what type of bow poundage you can handle for a proper fit. I'd love to see you join the ranks of bowhunter. :thumbsup:

sig_admin.png

#6 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

i may give it a try one day right now my goal is 1000 yard elk kill.. ive seen lots of elk that far but none of them were positioned for my liking. so far my best was a 600 yard shot, was actually my first bull! dropped it in its tracks. anyways my problem with bow hunting is mostly the hunting shows that shoot them and then talk about waiting a hour for the animal to expire as it runs half a mile from the poorly placed shot. but its the bow hunters that take any shot they get a chance to take that give it a bad name, i have no dought that a well placed shot can be just as lethal as a bullit. hunting is all about ethics.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

Jeremiah I have a question I'm sure you have the answer to. I shoot a 28" draw and cut my arrows at 28" so they come fairly close to the rizer or shelf at full draw. This Bull Head needs a longer arrow than what I'm using. To make it work on my setup so should I use a 28.5" or should it be more like a 30" arrow to use this braod head?

If I get out this season and I fully intend to I'd like to carry at least one for an up close head buster.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Magnus recommends a "full length arrow". (It seems most carbons come ~32" out of the package.) Now, for someone with a 28" draw length that is likely overkill. On the other hand, I shoot a 30.5" draw length. So, that means I'm only getting about 1.5" in front of the bow with my uncut arrows and it seems fine. So, I say it's relative. Just make sure there is adequate clearance for the shooter's fingers and equipment. (If one shoots with an open hand, for whatever reason, they will obviously need a longer arrow, for example.) In my experience, a couple inches in front of the riser works well. So, yes, about a 30" arrow should be a good fit for your set-up. Just take a good look at everything before committing. If you plan to use the larger Bullhead and your pin guard rides low on the bow, for example, you may need a little longer arrow yet.

One more thing... Magnus also recommends 5" feathers for fletching. If you've got some, go for it. But, I have used everything from feathers to 4" vanes and even 2" Blazers and all have steered the smaller 100 grain Bullheads just fine out to 30 yards. (Self-imposed bow turkey max range. :) )

sig_admin.png

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Jeremiah thanks - that's great information and I'll try to get a couple uncut or cut to 30" minimum properly spined shafts/arrows done for the hopeful occasion to use one of these gobbler droppers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users