7 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Last weekend, Me and my brother Frank decided to head back to our deer lease in Sonora, Tx. We hadn't been back since the end of deer season and we needed to do some choirs around camp. Turkey season opened the previous weekend-so this was a great excuse to head down!
It was a little early for turkey but they were gobbl'in.
Frank got there before me, arriving an hour or so before sundown on Saturday, he takes off for the woods. About a mile from camp, near a deer blind of mine, he spots a herd of axis. He continues to drive on so as not to spook them. Once he gets far enough down the road, he bails ship! The stalk is on. He ended up making a 200 yrd shot on an axis doe. I arrived in camp just as he was spraying down the skinning platform and putting his prize in the walkin cooler.Posted Image

Sunday was spent cutting grass around camp, ripping out a leaking sink, setting up a new stand area,along with other chores. Me and Frank parted ways again that evening in quest of axis! I didn't see anything...hmmmPosted Image . Back at camp, while firing up the steaks, I was getting worried -Frank was taking awhile to get back....sure enough, he killed a nice axis buck! He relates the story back to me of how he was feeling content, while walking across a semi improved pasture watching the sun go down-only to catch a reflection from antlers 200-300 yrds in the horizon. Quickly , he drops down prone in the green grass while this 29 1/2" hard horn axis walks by within 80 yrds of him. More burger meat!Posted Image
Posted Image

Monday morning finds us gearing up for a tag team up for turkeys. We decide to try on a plateau on a far corner of the ranch. Quietly , we start walking away from the truck -eager to sound off the morning with a series of yelps...only to see a silhouette of a deer 75 yrds behind a thicket. Frank leans over and wispers-"I think its a white tail". I am straining to see any head gear through the trees-"I see horns" as I am backpedaling to get Frank's "pea shooter" from the truck. Frank stays put to keep the deers attention on him. When I arrive, he is still there.....Posted Image
More burger meat! He sported 32" horns! He had velvet still intact on the eyeguards and the cottles! Couldn't have ended the weekend better....as for turkeys, we'll just have to go back in aweek or two.Posted Image
Posted Image[/img]

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

:clap: Great going you two. Way to put the bone on the ground. LOL
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Congrats. Beautiful animals. Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

Congratulations just count those beautiful Axis deer as practice for the turkeys.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

Congratulations brother!!!!!!!

I sure miss you guys but antelope season is close and I got 2 new ground blinds for us to play with. I will also be down in the Fall

Peacio

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

WOOT! A couple of great ones guys! Fabulous!
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

That's an animal on my bucket list for sure and those look great to my eyes. All I ever heard about these deer is that they are the very best in dining, right next to the mash potatoes or pasta and vegetable aujourd'hui.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 06 April 2010 - 01:41 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Now that was one specialPre- Easter Hunt for sure! Congrats to you both!Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 06 April 2010 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users