4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

What do you all think about this new squealing hen call? There's also a new call that sounds like two gobblers fighting. Any chance either will work or are they just another gimic to get your money? Jason bought the squealing hen so I'll let you know if it works.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

Honestly, "Deer View Mirror", "Cough Muffler", or "Dead Silence Call" are the first things that come to mind when I see the ads for the "Squealing Hen" call.

In no way am I saying that wild turkey hens do not make such a vocalization or that the call itself does not work to lure in wild turkey. I readily admit that I do not own such a call nor have I tested one. It's simply a case where in my 20 years afield now (man, is that hard to believe it's been that long) I have never heard it once though I have witnessed breeding turkey. So, my thought is that "squealing" must be a rare occurrence, at least where I hunt. Of course, that could be the exact reason that it works - if, indeed, it works. But, I think I'll just keep doin' what I've been doin' and let the experimentation of others tell the tale. :)

As to the fighting gobblers call... I'm not sure I've seen it. It's not the one by K&H that is just another spin on "fighting purrs", is it? If so, I've had success in luring gobblers with "fighting purrs" in the past. (Just by making longer than usual, higher pitched, rapid purrs on a friction call, for example... Not with a "special call" for mimicking this vocalization.) It generally sounded like two hens fighting though, not gobblers. :hmm:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I too am a bit skeptical about all these new calls. I've got you beat Jerimiah. I haven't heard a hen squeal in over 30 years of hunting, and longer than that running in the woods. Make you feel a little yoiunger bud? Posted Image Posted Image I really can't remember but it seemed like the other call I saw was supose to be sound like two jakes fighting. Correct me if I'm wrong but in my humble opinion I think the least calling, with anything, that you can get away with the better. I know sometimes agressive calling works but not all that often. I think the more calls you are messing with the better the odds that that smart ole Boss Tom will bust you.

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 April 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

I'm pretty certain that it would be a case of having to buy a" cough silencer" as well when purchasing the sqeauling hen call. Not gonna say whether I believe the squealing would work on anything other than a coyote or bobcat coming in to investigate.....but I'd bet money that an overpowering urge to light up a smoke after using it would send us non-smokers into a coughing jag inside the blind!Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 05 April 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

I too have never heard a turkey squeal but I did hear a guy last year make a sound while we were set up that was rather odd. That odd sound is produced by closing the eyes and lowering the chin and draw in a breath. It didn't work either Lol.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users