New To Huntingresource.com...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Some of you may have seen a couple new banners on the site lately.

Hamskea Archery Solutions & Pinwheel Software

Pinwheel makes "On Target 2 - Software for Archers". I've been using this program for at least the past five years and it pretty much does everything but make you breakfast. It has an annually updated database of archery gear... Everything from all of the new bows, sights, arrows, fletchings, inserts etc. The purpose is that any time you either purchase a new bow or wish to purchase new arrows, for example, you can literally enter every detail of your bow set-up into the software and it will tell you exactly what spine arrow you will need, for just one example, BEFORE purchasing. It will also tell you everything you need to know from expected arrow velocity to stored energy, front of center measurement, and other arrow ballistics such as expected speed loss and drop at varying distances. Of course, the software also prints sight tapes for many different moveable single-pin sights as well as pin gap templates for multiple pin sights. (I use this feature all the time and have found it to be very accurate and a true time-saver worth the cost of the software in and of itself. Of course, buying the right arrows the first time out has saved me a bundle as well.) I often use OT2-SFA just to pre-test different arrows, point weights, bow poundage and fletching type just to tweak for peak performance. (Trying to strike a good balance between arrow speed and stored energy or momentum upon impact for hunting or simply finding the correct point weight needed to break down the spine on large 2712 arrows being shot out of my 50# indoor target bow... 300 grns, by the way. ;) )

Hamskea Archery Solutions is a newer company with many great products in the works. But, their first to hit the scene is the "Easy Third Axis Level". I have been a firm believer in leveling my sights on all three axes (on both tournament and hunting sights) for years. Doing so ensures that your sight's bubble level is not giving you a false reading, especially on uphill or downhill shots. Such false readings will cause the shooter to cant their bow to the side which can cause significant left/right misses even at shorter distances of, say, 30 yards depending on how off the sight is. In other words, third axis leveling is vital to anyone who hunts hilly country or from a treestand and not just to 3-D shooters, as many people have proclaimed. Unfortunately, until the Hamskea Third Axis Level, there really has been no easy way to go about leveling your bow sight dynamically. (That is to say with the bow at full draw.) As a result, many people, myself included, have tended to use devices that aid in leveling the third axis of a sight at static position and call it "good enough". Despite what anyone says, however, virtually all bows torque to some degree at full draw regardless of the shooter's form or using aftermarket "slim grips" etc. (It is, frankly, an unavoidable result of most compound bow systems, in general. One of the biggest guilty parties being cables that are held to one side by a rod or slide mechanism to allow for arrow clearance. As the bow is drawn and the limb weight shifts from the string to the cables, it causes the bow riser to twist. This can actually be observed if using a long enough stabilizer that you can see the tip on while drawing the bow.) The Hamskea Third Axis Level remedies this problem by making dynamically leveling a sight's third axis easy. If you click the Hamskea banner, I encourage you to visit their "tutorials" page and watch the videos provided by professional archer, Tim Gillingham. Tim explains quite clearly the effects and importance of third axis sight leveling as well as how the Hamskea product makes leveling your sight any easy task.

We're proud to say that we use the products that these companies produce and that they simply work to make our lives as archers and bowhunters easier. We truly believe that they can and will do the same for you and that is, as always, why we present them to our membership for consideration. Happy hunting & shooting!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

An excellent addition!
Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

After seeing the Banner for Pinwheel software I bought two of the three offered Ontarget software programs, SSX and SFA.
I have been wanting to do it but when I saw then as sponsors here it was alott easier to make the buying decision.

On another forum I have seen this software applied time and again such as on what Jeremiah mentioned above. It really gives you some excellent input to your setup. I also read they give updates for free, no charge, annually so they can include any new bows, arrows and etc. to their programs.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 April 2010 - 08:34 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Straightedge

Straightedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Early American History, Archery and Bowhunting, Faith and Family

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

After seeing the Banner for Pinwheel software I bought two of the three offered Ontarget software programs, SSX and SFA.
I have been wanting to do it but when I saw then as sponsors here it was alott easier to make the buying decision.

On another forum I have seen this software applied time and again such as on what Jeremiah mentioned above. It really gives you some excellent input to your setup. I also read they give updates for free, no charge, annually so they can include any new bows, arrows and etc. to their programs.

I just wish they offered a Mac version of OT2.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users