• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

After decades of Black Bear season opening on the Monday before Thanksgiving the PGC approved a proposal to open the season on Saturday , then Mon/Tues. This will make things easier for hunters who just can't afford the extra time off work with deer season opening the following Monday.Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like someone in that office is listening to the hunter groups.

Do you know if the change was due to an increase in the bear population or and increase in human/bear incidents such as car accidents or nuisance bear intrusions.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

Wow, another tradition gone. But it makes more time for guys to hunt. Can y'all hunt Sundays there yet?
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:42 AM

Wow, another tradition gone. But it makes more time for guys to hunt. Can y'all hunt Sundays there yet?

Charlie,
No Sunday hunting yet but its probably only a matter of time until large hunting groups get legisation passed allowing it. ....I'm hoping it doesn't as Sunday's the gamelands around here are used by numerous non-hunters enjoying hiking, bird watching, fishing in the ponds, biking, etc.. I know the gamelands are maintained by $$$ generated from hunting license sales but on the other hand, state forest & national forest land that we hunters get to enjoy are maintained by all taxpayers. So....I'm willing to share 1 day with those non-hunting folks who enjoy the outdoors as much as I do without them feeling intimidated by hunters carrying firearms & archery gear.

Rowdy,
Bear populations are high but the weather really is a huge factor in bear season harvests since its only 3 days in most of the state. In certain "high density bear population areas" the past couple years hunters with a bear tag could also harvest a bear the first week of deer firearm season. Hunter numbers have been steadily dropping the past few years so the $$$ generated from license sales has dropped. Opening bear will be an encouragement for hunters to purchase a lic. knowing they can hunt on a Saturday without taking time off work. This year is a perfect example for myself as my vacation time will be used up heading to CO/WY....and now I can hunt bear in PA as well.
Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 23 April 2010 - 03:43 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users