Jump to content


Photo

Rain In The Forecast


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 runNgun

runNgun

    Totally Addicted

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern MN
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

Season opener for me is this Saturday and looking at the weather it's not looking like a great one. 80% chance of rain for Saturday and a 20% chance on Sunday. I plan on going out anyway. You can't kill them from the couch in front of the TV, plus I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods again.Posted Image

How might the birds behave with the rain on Saturday? Any tips and tricks that might help me out if turkeys are affected by the rain? Any final tips you experts could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Eric

#2 Phil

Phil

    Never Logs Off

  • Authors
  • 2,379 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:51 AM

Season opener for me is this Saturday and looking at the weather it's not looking like a great one. 80% chance of rain for Saturday and a 20% chance on Sunday. I plan on going out anyway. You can't kill them from the couch in front of the TV, plus I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods again.Posted Image

How might the birds behave with the rain on Saturday? Any tips and tricks that might help me out if turkeys are affected by the rain? Any final tips you experts could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hey Run...great additude !Posted Image
My experience is that the birds will stay on roost longer in the rain then head for more open areas where they can see better. I've seen lots of turkeys feeding while its raining as long as it isn't windy. Toughest thing with rain is on the hunter as you still have to keep still with turkeys nearby and this gets mighty uncomfortable with water dripping down your back,etc. A good blind is a Godsend on wet days!Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

    Life Member

  • Authors
  • 5,702 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

I agree with Phil when it rains the turkeys stay on roost longer. Although a turkey has excellent hearing, rain in the woods causes them to migrate to the open areas, i.e. fields etc, if it really pours though the turkeys most likely will head to the woods and seek shelter under the pines or thick stuff. I have seen more turkeys out in the fields around here in the rain than at any other time. I use pot and box calls a lot and a tip is to have some zip lock bags to put them in when you are out there in the rain.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users