6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Jason and I headed over to the Drury-Mincy Wildlife area before daylight this morning to do some turkey hunting. When we got there another truck pulled in behind us. As turned out the fellow works for the Forestry Dept. and use to be a Ranger there at Drury-Mincy. As we all headed off on foot from the parking area we got to talking. For some time Jason and I have been hearing there are some Elk running around there and we naturaly thought that they were escapees from inside the high fenced area that is in the heart of Drury-Mincy. It's private land owned by the folks that donated the 5,000 plus acres, that makes up Drury-Mincy, to the state. They raise Elk and Buffalo. Well, much to our surprise, the fellow we talked to said nope, they came up from Arkansas. Several years back Arkansas introduced Elk along the Buffalo River and they have really taken off.....literaly. Posted Image He told us that there are 4 cows, a young bull, and a calf. After it got daylight Jason and I saw signs put up warning people not to disturb the Elk in any way. Sooooooo, though small, Missouri has it's first wild Elk herd in many a year. Very curious to see where this is headed. Posted Image

#2 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Well Norm in a few years you 2 can maybe have an elk hunt. Nebraska has an elk herd in a couple of areas. The tags are once only types so if you draw thats it. In fact I believe a 470 came out of the herd last year by a native nebraskan.

Steve

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

The Rocky Mountain elk foundation started a herd in Kentucky several years back. This herd has grown faster than they ever thought it would. If you have the place RMEF might step in and introduce new blood to the small herd you have now preventing interbreeding and weakening the herd's future. RMEF
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

wow thats awsome good luck with your future elk herd. They are a blast to hunt!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

The Rocky Mountain elk foundation started a herd in Kentucky several years back. This herd has grown faster than they ever thought it would. If you have the place RMEF might step in and introduce new blood to the small herd you have now preventing interbreeding and weakening the herd's future. RMEF

Thanks bud. Next time I'm over there and can talk to the ranger I'll ask what their plans are and will tell him about the REMF.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Well!!! Not to be outdone by the show me state, PA also has a herd of elk. We have been permitted to hunt elk now for nearly 10 years. Our herd for many years stayed around 200-300 animals and a few years back just exploded their population to the point where they can be hunted. It is a very controlled hunt and I have quit applying for it. There are about 40,000 - 50,000 applications for the 50 to 100 elk permits. There are some truly monster bulls in the herd(s).
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Well!!! Not to be outdone by the show me state, PA also has a herd of elk. We have been permitted to hunt elk now for nearly 10 years. Our herd for many years stayed around 200-300 animals and a few years back just exploded their population to the point where they can be hunted. It is a very controlled hunt and I have quit applying for it. There are about 40,000 - 50,000 applications for the 50 to 100 elk permits. There are some truly monster bulls in the herd(s).

dont stop applying! what if your in that lucky 50-100, it has to be somebody!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users