7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

I've been wanting a new crossbow for a long time and as of yesterday I now have one. No more lugging around my old Jennings Devastator, which is a good bow but heavy as heck and I've owned it for over 10 years. A relative sold me a like new Horton Legend XL175. He sold it because of health reasons, he can no longer hunt, and it's only been fired a very few times. It's the nicer Legend XL 175 package with the Hunter Mul-ti-range 4 x 32 scope, 7/8 inch dovetail, steel scope rings, and Hunter Elite detatchable quiver. It has ToughBoy wide body limbs, steel external axel limb tips, precision metal riser with Hortons SoundStopper riser pads. It's really sharp looking too with Skyline's Excel Camoflage with black inserts. It also came with Carbon Strike arrows. It is an awesome bow and at $225.00 I'd have been an idiot to pass it up. It normally sells for around $550.00 - $600. It's suppose to sling an arrow at around 316 fps. I'll post pics of it a bit later when I've more time. Yep, I'm a happy hunter. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 July 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

Way to go Norm. Posted Image What's with the later on the pics? You out playing with your new toy already? Will have to give you a call and see whats up. Take care and enjoy. Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Way to go Norm. Posted Image What's with the later on the pics? You out playing with your new toy already? Will have to give you a call and see whats up. Take care and enjoy. Posted Image

Thanks Fred and ok you impatient old goat. Posted Image Here's the pics. I just had grocery shopping to do first. Posted Image I'll be home the rest of the weekend bud. Call anytime.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 01 May 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Congrats on that new arrow slinger. should do the job alright.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Paul. Jason was intrumental in me getting it. Posted Image I had the money but he talked his stepson's grandpa into selling it. He wanted $300, which would still have been a good buy, but he said since it was me he let me have it for the $225. I just realised, from reading up on it, that it even has an adjustable stock. The rope you gave me fits it perfect. Thanks again bud. Good luck on the turkey huntin.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Took my bow out and let Jason shoot it. He fine tuned the scope for me and I'm pretty impressed with the tight groups it shoots. It's also much quieter that my old Jennings. Another thing that was rather obvious is how much harder a punch it has. At 30 yards it burried the shafts up to the vanes every shot! I'd say pass throughs will be the norm no problem. Jason said it's no harder to draw than the Jennings though the Jennings is 150lb compared to the Horton's 175lb. I have a rope cocking device that Paul gave me that will make it even easier. The Horton is also way more compact than the rather bulky Jennings which will make it easier to carry in the woods and it's much lighter in weight. I did notice some obvious string wear where it contacts the barrel groove. I doubt the previous owner was usuing rail lube nor, string wax, and that is why as it hasn't really been shot much. He was an older fellow and just didn't know how to maintain it. I'm going to replace the string and use string wax and rail lube after every time I've had it out shooting. I think on high powered crossbows that that is a must if you exspect the string to hold up. The rail lube is also suppose to decrease friction and increase arrow, bolt, speed. I really enjoyed watching Jason shoot it and long for my current condition to heal enough that I can shoot it too. My right shoulder, arm and neck are all still quite painfull and I don't wish to press my luck. I hope to heal as fast as possible. It sure has me looking forward to Archery Season. This new bow is a long awaited dream come true. I owe my son Jason many thanks for being the middle man in helping me get it. He does tend to look out for me. Posted Image I miss shooting a regular bow but if this is what it takes to still be able to hunt then I'm glad I have a bow I can be proud of and that will certainly get the job done. I'll keep the old Jennings Devastator as it holds a lot of memories. Hunted for well over 10 years with it. Maybe the day will come that a friend or relative will find themselves in the position to need a crossbow and I'll pass it on to them to get them started. I like the thought of that. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 May 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Sounds like you are all set! Enjoy that crossbow.Posted Image

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Sounds like you are all set! Enjoy that crossbow.Posted Image

Thanks Micky.Posted Image This is a much nicer bow than any I exspected to end up with. I only had a bit over $200 to spend. Jason brought me the new 2010 Cabelas Archery Catalog and the prices of xbows is down right scary! They've one in there for two grand! Boy if I had that much to spend I'd do so on a new rifle and handgun!Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 May 2010 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users