20 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Turkey Season has been cut short for me by a week. Seems I had Chicken Pox as a kid and the doctor tells me I now have Shingles, bad. Have it bad on the back and right side of my neck, my whole right shoulder and most of the way down my right arm. Hurts like the devil and I'm confined to the house for at least the next fifteen days. Been hit with a lot of stuff but never exspected this. It came on sudden, with very little build up, and escalated quick. It's rendered my right arm fairly useless. Spent yesterday, last night and half of today in the hospital. A bit worried because it's so close to my face. They say it can do serious damage to your eyes. Guess I'll read a lot, look at my new crossbow and dream about hunting come Archery Season next Oct. Posted Image My shoulder and arm hurt so bad before the rash apeared that they, and myself, thought i was having another heart attack. At least it wasn't that.Posted Image

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ouch! I hope you get over those soon!

Prayers sent!
Posted Image

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

My mom and my father-in-law both had shingles years ago. They explained it was very uncomfortable and at times, downright painful.

At the time, the doctors had told my father-in-law that stress and nerves was a contribiuting factor, or at least magnified the conditions. He was indeed under a lot of stress then, so we never questioned the doctor's comments.

Hope things get better for you and that things clear up real fast.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Thanks guys, I truly apreciate the kind words and prayers. The way the doctor exsplained it to me was that once you have the Chicken Pox the microbe that causes the virus stays forever in your systom. If it comes back on you, something triggers it, you'll get Shingles this time rather that Chicken Pox again. He said it can also arise for no aparent reason too. It's highly contagious to anyone who has not had the Chicken Pox and if exsposed to someone with Shingles then it's Chicken Pox that they'll get. If you've already had Chicken Pox, and or Shingles, then you're safe around someone with Shingles, you're imune to exspoure. Shingles attacks the nerves in the area of the rash and if not treated can cause permanent painful damage. It can also effect vital organs such as your heart and lungs which is among the reasons it's so dangerous for me. I was exsposed to a longgggg list of toxic chemicals in the Air Force. Among them Agents Orange and Pink and TCE. I've dodged cancer but they've wrecked havock with my imune systom and have made me succeptable to all kinds of nasty stuff such as now this. Stress and such can really magnify the problem too so I avoid them when I can but life sometimes has it's own plans. Shingles can even attack the full length of a nerve and it's attaking me from the base of my skull to the tips of my fingers of my right hand. Imagine several pinched nerves along that path, add muscle cramps and just for good measure splash acid all along the skin the full length. Then you'll have a good idea how it feels. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse once. It came very close to killing me. The burning of that and this feels much the same. At least in that case I got to kill the spider!Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 May 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#5 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

A fellow worker got bitten by a recluse spider years ago at work. Those spiders are not native to my area, so it was difficult for the doctors to diagnose him right away. He had to be hospitalized.

Plus once they realized it had been a recluse spider, they backtracked his steps and came to the conclusion that some of the department's equipment had been shipped from either the Carribean or the southern US and must have had a recluse as a hitch-hiker. They shut the entire shop down over one weekend, had an exterminator come in and fog the entire building.

We were all provided literature on recluse spiders and the effects of their bites. Bad stuff for sure!

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

A fellow worker got bitten by a recluse spider years ago at work. Those spiders are not native to my area, so it was difficult for the doctors to diagnose him right away. He had to be hospitalized.

Plus once they realized it had been a recluse spider, they backtracked his steps and came to the conclusion that some of the department's equipment had been shipped from either the Carribean or the southern US and must have had a recluse as a hitch-hiker. They shut the entire shop down over one weekend, had an exterminator come in and fog the entire building.

We were all provided literature on recluse spiders and the effects of their bites. Bad stuff for sure!

Geoff / TBow

They are quite plentiful in Southern Missouri. My wife had gotten bitten by one just a few weeks before me. The doctor gave her a steroid cream and other than being painful the bite healed without leaving a mark. In my case I had been lying in bed reading when I felt what I thought was a fly under my right arm pit. I went to brush at it and felt a sharp sting seconds before seeing the spider.
I smashed it with the book. I figured I'd just put some of the steroid cream, my wife had left over, on it and went to sleep. I woke up the next morning with my body bright red and I was paralized. They rushed me to the hospital and we were told if just 5 minutes later I'd have died. Because I was bit under my arm and close to my heart the poison spread quickly throughout my body. They flew anti venom in by helicopter and in the four days I was in the hospital they had run out of room in both arms and thighs to give me shots by the third day. The last full day all meds were given me by IV. The bite felt like a bee sting at first. Then seconds later like a lit cigarrette was being held against the spot. Soon after it felt like I was being skinned alive! I was lucky in that I just have a small scar. The doctor that treated me had once been bitten and one whole leg was a massive scar similar to a severe burn. The venom causes the tissue to die and slough off kinda like gangreen.He came extremely close to losing his leg! It is one of the worst pains a human can suffer. You can stand even a singe strand of hair to lightly touch the area without screaming in pain. I kill every dang spider I see! Then look to see what kind.

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 May 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:09 AM

Sorry to hear of yet another physical problem for you my friend. Had the chicken pox as a child but have not had shingles. Eric has next week off and I am getting rested up for that so staying home this morning. Guess I overdid it a little yesterday by hunting and then splitting wood most of the afternoon and doing some weeding around my mom's house. So much to do and so little time. Take it easy now and am praying for ya.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

So sorry to hear of your ailment. I pray for your full recovery. God bless you.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:29 AM

Sorry to hear of yet another physical problem for you my friend. Had the chicken pox as a child but have not had shingles. Eric has next week off and I am getting rested up for that so staying home this morning. Guess I overdid it a little yesterday by hunting and then splitting wood most of the afternoon and doing some weeding around my mom's house. So much to do and so little time. Take it easy now and am praying for ya.

Thanks Paul, I really apreciate your kind words and prayers. You know? I quit high school in my Junior year to enlist. Thought it more honorable to do so than to wait to be drafted and told I had to go. Most guys by then, 1972, were burning their draft cards and running away to Canada. To be honest, my Cherokee pride was a big part of it. It was a young man's chance to be a warrior like his ancestors. But had I known then, that all these years later, I'd still be bearing the burdon of that choice and that the very Government that was so eager to send me there would then turn it's back on me and so many other's like me, in my time of need welllll I might have chosen a differant path. I don't know but now to learn that I've passed on many of the health problems to my daughter and son, well, that hurts more than any physical pain ever could. Some kinds of pain is much harder to deal with that others. Sorry for rambling folks. Paul, you take good care of yoursel buddy. Don't over do things ok? A lot of folks need you around, me for instance. Besides, where would I get such delicious apple butter if not for you? I'd have to pesster Eric or Phil! Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

Hope you're feeling a little better today. Nerve damage is painful.

I'd advise you to stay away from coffee for a while, if you drink it. On some people coffee makes skin inflammations much worse. My wife has that issue and she loves coffee. She found this out the hard way more than once.
Posted Image

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

Sorry to hear you have the Shingles.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I had it come on one year ago to the day. And I'm still feeling some occasional nerve damage pain from them where it hit me. Just don't push yourself and take the pain meds for it. There is a lot of stuff on the Internet about it to help answer questions you might have about it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Mickey. Thanks Leo, I rarely drink coffee. Been drinking lots of green tea with citrus. Not feeling much better yet. Have so many health issues they overlap each other and really complicate things. Taking Tramadol for pain but not helping much. Taking a pill called acyclovir every 5 hours and steroids. Right now can't bear having even a T-shirt on. Thanks to you too Rowdy. I have some Vicadin prescribed for the pain so going to try it. The Tramadol I take regularly for other problems.

Guys, I really apreciate your kind words and prayers. You each are helping me deal with this more than you might think. Sometimes just having someone outside the family to talk to can work wonders. I was having a lot of pain in both shoulders for a while before the rash showed up and this was diagnosed and the doctors were puzzled as to what was causing it. I'm now wondering if it might have been Shingles all along. I've read that sometimes the rash doesn't appear at all, just nerve pain.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

From what I learned about it is the virus(chicken Pocks) lies dormant in the spinal column region. When it erupts and returns due to a weakening in ones immune system it stays in the nerves system. Thus the pain in the nerve in deep muscle tissue and it is confused with other systems at first like a pulled muscle or even a heart attack until the skin shows the rash. The nerves system is in meridian sections or quadrants on the body, such as from your left side starting from the middle of your back around to the front center of your chest and down from your shoulders to your waist is one quadrant. Your left side of your head is separate from your right side of your head divided in the middle of your nose making up those two. You can have it in two quadrants on the same side of your body at once. And you can get it again in different quadrants after your first bought with it. I was ready for acupuncture treatments as a last resort to the pain meds if they didn't help. I happened to walk into a Brookstone store with my wife and by chance tried a massager/vibrator out and it worked wonders, highly recommend it for larger muscle pain and not your head. LOL

So to have it on both side of your body is an odd occurrence from every thing I read and was told by my Doctor.

The Caffeine in anything like the green tea I'd avoid for a while.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 05 May 2010 - 02:29 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

That is a bummer Norm. I was just checking the site to get some updates on your turkey hunting. Now I will hunt for you buddy!

I had shingles when I was 16 years old. I remember it itched badly and when you scratched it the pain was intense.

I'll keep you in my prayers.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

That is a bummer Norm. I was just checking the site to get some updates on your turkey hunting. Now I will hunt for you buddy!

I had shingles when I was 16 years old. I remember it itched badly and when you scratched it the pain was intense.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Thanks bud. Hey, go get em. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping you have a succesful and fun hunt.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users