Ripcord Code Red Arrow Rest

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Just a little "heads-up" for anyone out there shooting this rest or considering it.

I just purchased a new Code Red this evening for my M7. I wanted to swap the camo timing cord that the rest comes with for some red BCY #24 just to match up a little better with the black and red rest (and black and red bow). I'm really glad that I did! Upon closer inspection, the camo cord that came with the rest was "fuzzy" near the hole in the rest housing that it passes through. Once I had the rest taken apart, I saw why. The inner edge of that hole in the rest housing, though chamfered from the factory, had a large burr that was cutting the cord.

Many years ago when the Ripcord first hit the market I remember replacing cords for customers every so often. The holes that the cord pass through (technically three of them for those whom have had these rests apart before) were not chamfered at all back then and some simply ate cord material. (Decent techs would dress things up inside and then the rest would be fine.) Well, a few years back the company began addressing this issue with the larger holes with chamfered edges. I honestly thought everything had been worked out as it doesn't seem that I hear much about this problem anymore. So, I was surprised to find this particular rest in the condition it was in. (There was even fine metal shavings inside the housing I had to clean out.)

The good news is that it's super easy to fix. A small diamond file, 800+ grit sandpaper, and/or some steel wool and about 10 minutes of your time and the rest will be better than new. And, believe me, in my opinion, it is worth it. (I like the rest a lot.) I can hear it now though... Folks asking why they should have to do that work with a new ~$100 rest. I understand that sentiment... But, on the other hand, it's still a mass produced item. (To be fair, I saw a new QAD not falling all the way on another customer's bow just last week. So, "stuff happens" sometimes with just about anything.) Besides, it can't be too bad if this is the first time I'm seeing/hearing of a rough Ripcord in probably 3 or 4 years now.

At the end of the day, I'm confident my "cleaned up" Ripcord will perform. Oh, and the red cord is sweet. (I'll post a pic once the bow is put together... Hopefully this coming week sometime. ;) )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

Jeremiah maybe I should relay the message of the problem. I am a friend of the guy who invented the ripcord and he lives just twenty minutes away from me. I know Kieth well and have shot will him all though I don't shoot his rest. I shoot a trophy taker because of less moving parts but that's just me Posted Image
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

For all I know it could be an isolated incident, Robert. (Not working in shops anymore I just don't see enough of them anymore to say.) I do know that I haven't heard of this "cord eating" problem for years. (Again, ever since they supposedly fixed it by enlarging the holes and better chamfering the edges.) If I had to guess, I would say this one just happened to slip through quality control. So, I leave that up to you.

Just about every new firearm I've ever bought needed to be "smoothed out" inside the action and/or trigger before it actually worked to peak performance. I've always just taken it as a part of dealing with mass produced/manufactured items, in general, that have somewhat intricate parts. That said, I would certainly not mind at all you passing this information along to them. (Invite them by to read this topic. :D ) The rest worked just fine, mechanically speaking, out of the package. It was simply fraying the cord. Now it works great and no longer frays the timing cord thanks to smoothing out the sharp edge(s). ;)

P.S. You may want to consider picking up a Code Red yourself. I've shot Trophy Taker for years and still do on my target bow. But, there is something to this "bounce back" or "rebound" deal, my friend. (Check YouTube for some slow motion video of fall away rests. Many bounce back up on the shot before the arrow is clear and can interfere with fletchings.) The Code Red locks down once fallen. I'm really looking forward to getting it set-up.

sig_admin.png

#4 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

Jeremiah, I would call Ripcord and let them know about the issue. We have used Ripcords for years. One year we had an issue with a left handed model. I called Keith and he explained that they had a problem with lefty models, but thought that they had caught all of them. He sent us a replacement ASAP. It is a great rest backed by a great company.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

With the rough edge smoothed out the rest performs as it should. I really don't need a replacement.

By the way, changing the cord is as easy as...

sig_admin.png

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Great video. I had a Rip Cord on two of my bows a couple of years ago and had the timing cord split on both to the point they would drop. I took them in and had the cords replaced but the tech at the proshop said mine were a common occurence for the Rip Cord. I now use another drop away.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users