• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

I'm currently selling my old VW rabbit on ebay. It looks like I'll get enough from it to buy a new gun. I really want to hunt with a handgun and since the .44 cap and ball has no guts and is illegal, I thought a .44 mag with a 7.5" barrel would do the trick. I found that the Ruger Blackhawk series is affordable and my dad said the .357 blackhawk he had was the best revolver he ever owned.

I know it's turkey season, but the idea of buying a .44 magnum just sounds like alot more fun right now than buying a new shotgun. Figured y'all would understand. Any reason why this man and a Ruger super blackhawk should not be joined together... speak now or forever hold your Posted Image .
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

My Father-in-law has a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. It is a very accurate pistol. Obviously, it packs a BIG punch and should put down all sorts of critters. Keep a good grip. Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

Posted Image A cap and ball has no guts? You should try a Walker colt. Luv em.Have fun with the Ruger. You'll like it.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

.44 mag is very popular here in Ohio for Whitetail hunting. I haven't tried it myself but I have some friends that do and love hunting with one.

Now I have seen a few pigs bite the dirt from one. When T-wrecks used one on a hunt I was on with him and his dad Mudduck. It makes smoking big holes in a running pig. My guess a deer would drop in it's tracks.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Ruger is a very respected name in the revolver world. One in a 44 mag will definately do in a deer.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

My son hunts exclusively with the Ruger .44 mag. If you can hit them, it will kill em. Pigs, Deer, Bear etc. Pics are better than words. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

I've long been a Ruger fan. They build quallity firearms that you can rely on. Want a cap and ball that packs a punch? Like Fred said, get yourself a Walker, but since we're talking Ruger, a Ruger Old Army will put a king sized smile on your face.

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 May 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

The very first gun I ever sold as a FFL Licensee in 1971 was a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 in 44 mag. It took me until 2008 to buy one for myself. I love it and am gonna buy a few more, especially a stainless 5.5 inch model. I like it cause I can hold the same for 25, 50 and 100 yards and still make a BIG HOLE in the target. Also ammo is cheap and you can get rounds in any general store. Theres just some mystique or panache or whatever about a single action revolver. I also have a newish Sauer Western Marshal 44 mag with fixed sights ( cowboy gun ) that hangs loaded on our bedpost to keep bandidos away.

Good luck with yours.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

buy,buy,buy................................................:clap:
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#10 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

So that's a yes then. I guess I have to post some wedding photo's after I bring her home. And to qualify my "cap and ball has no guts" statement, my rem. replica has a 30 gr. load max. I've found that 25 gr. shoots more accurate and I shoot APP. So, yes a Walker Colt with 60 gr. of Goex would be better but still not legal equip. in Ohio. And my gun/load can't put a lead ball through a pine 2x4.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#11 Pitbull1022

Pitbull1022

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Rugers, Taurus, Bushmaster,

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

I got the 50th Anniversary with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Picked up the Triple K holster and ammo belt from Ruger too. Great gun. Recoil is not as bad as you would think either. You can get a wide selection of loads and weights also. I don't think there is anything in North America it will not take down. Like I said Great Gun. One to pass down to the next generation.
Better Tried By 12 than carried by 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users