• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Yesterday was a bust for me as I did not hear or see anything. Eric did get into a gobbler but it only came in to about 70 yds and just walked off. This morning we decided to go after that bird and gang up on him. We went to the edge of the field where the gobbler went yesterday. I set out my other hen decoy about 15 yds from me and Eric sat about 10 yds behind me. It turned out that we had a gobbler a couple hundred yds to our left and another sounding off about 150 yds below us and to the right. I sat there thinking we were surrounded. After a little while a gobbler appeared about 55 - 60 yds down the fencerow and immediately went into full strut. It would not come any closer and turned around and went back where it came from. Well after calling for a short while I saw a turkey coming from the left but about 75 yds down in the field. I confirmed it was a hen. It worked it's way out across the field and I caught movement to the right down the fencerow. 4 deer were walking toward us along the right fencerow. They walked to about 60 yds and then walked right out in the field toward the hen. I was sure they were going to snort and scare everything off. Fortunately they did not. The hen fed right among the deer till they left the way they came. The hen then came up the field right to the decoy and to the edge of the woods right in front of me at about maybe 10 feet. She finally decided something was not just right and walked out the edge of the woods and disappeared. A couple minutes later she was back and caught one of us moving and ran up the field. She then entered the woods about 40 yds to our left and again caught one of us moving and putted and ran off. After about 45 minutes I saw the gobbler that was to our left coming down the middle of the field. It too passed by at about 75 yds and entered the woods where the other gobbler had gone. It crossed about 75 yds of woods and a stream (Crick) and entered the field beyond that. It stood over there and just gobbled its head off but would not come back to our field. It then started to work its way up that field and Eric crept over and tried to call it back but to no avail it just went up the edge of the field and entered the woods above us. So ended our turkey quest for the day. It sure has been eventful but nothing to bring home.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the update Paul. If I can't get out and hunt at least I can enjoy hearing about your adventures.Posted Image

#3 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like you need to take a camera! That would make some great pictures.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like you need to take a camera! That would make some great pictures.

I was thinking the same thing - that's two days now I would have enjoyed watching the video. Hang in there Paul that gobble gobble is going to make a mistake and step right in front of you and Eric.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users