Photo

Got An African Bowhunting Safari From A Hunt Draw!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

I entered a drawing and I got the trip! I'm super excited! The trip will be this August.

Anyone who wants to join me will have a deeply discounted trip. The flight over there will be about $2000. You need a passport. The daily fees will be quite good and then it depends on what animals you take. Send me a PM if you are seriously interested.

I'm going whether I have company traveling with me or not. You better believe I'm thanking the Lord right now for this opportunity.

Edited by Leo, 16 May 2010 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Congrats Leo...way to cool !Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

<----- totally jealous!

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Congrats Leo. I could never afford an African hunt but at least I can live one through your adventures so I exspect lots of pics. Pretty please?Posted Image

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

CONGRATULATIONS LEO :clap:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Congrats little buddy, I am quite elated for you to go hunt!

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Congrats little buddy, I am quite elated for you to go hunt!

BC

X2 Leo. I'd go but too short of notice for me to work into things. I will be looking forward to the stories and videos you'll be sharing - hopefully with us.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Wow if it weren't for having some cataracts being removed in June and later I just may have been interested but then again my shoulders will not allow me to shoot a bow anymore.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

You said that cost may depend on what animal you take. I know I can't afford anything, but what is the going rate for some African game and what are you going to hunt? I don't remember if it was posted on here or if I saw it on youtube, but I remember seeing a video of a guy killing a lion with a bow. If that's what you're after, I'll say you have alot more guts than me. Whatever it is, I pray your trip is a safe and successful one.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

You said that cost may depend on what animal you take. I know I can't afford anything, but what is the going rate for some African game and what are you going to hunt? I don't remember if it was posted on here or if I saw it on youtube, but I remember seeing a video of a guy killing a lion with a bow. If that's what you're after, I'll say you have alot more guts than me. Whatever it is, I pray your trip is a safe and successful one.

I won't be going for a lion. A lion hunt is a special hunt. It falls into the "Big Five" category. There won't be any Lions where I'm hunting. Leopards and Hyenas do occur there but I doubt I'll see or shoot either.

For $3000 you could shoot just one animal or eight depending on what they are. For example Impala and warthog are about $350 each. A nice Kudu is around $2000.

Iamyourhuckleberry a member on this board killed a lion with his bow in Africa.
Posted Image

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Leo or Huckleberry jump in here if I'm off on this.

When one looks at the cost here's something to put some meat on the bone. The flight round trip ticket is around $2k, the hunt could run you $3k, the medical or meds before you go could run a couple hundred (malaria prevention piles, etc) and getting the animals prep and shipping back to the US possibly $1k or more. The Taxidermy service could run you $700 to $1k or more per animal for the mounting. Still I want to go. The memories that friends have shared with me are priceless about bowhunting Africa.

Leo what bow and what setup are you taking this time? I know you learned a lot from your first trip and I imagine you'll be changing a thing or two.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Leo or Huckleberry jump in here if I'm off on this.

When one looks at the cost here's something to put some meat on the bone. The flight round trip ticket is around $2k, the hunt could run you $3k, the medical or meds before you go could run a couple hundred (malaria prevention piles, etc) and getting the animals prep and shipping back to the US possibly $1k or more. The Taxidermy service could run you $700 to $1k or more per animal for the mounting. Still I want to go. The memories that friends have shared with me are priceless about bowhunting Africa.

Leo what bow and what setup are you taking this time? I know you learned a lot from your first trip and I imagine you'll be changing a thing or two.

The hunt will be in a Malaria free zone. You need to be up to date on tetanus boosters. Hepatitis immunizations are a good idea but I'll check with the outfitter as I don't think they are required there either. Dip and Pack will run you about $100 per animal. Shipping is by cube size. Obviously mounted heads take up more space than hides and horns.

You also have the option of just bringing back photos. Personally I'm not supposed to get any more as I still have stuff at the taxidermist now (oops). I might have to bring back a couple though...

Same bow as last time Rowdy some minor changes. 70lb bow, 455grn arrows with 125grn heads instead of 100s this time. The biggest lesson I learned was my setup needed those 125grn heads. I also switched to blazers to bump the FOC up a little more. The improvement in FOC makes a big difference in flight and in terminal penetration. I'm slinging these arrows out at 285fps. Plenty of momentum and energy for plains game.
Posted Image

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

The hunt will be in a Malaria free zone. You need to be up to date on tetanus boosters. Hepatitis immunizations are a good idea but I'll check with the outfitter as I don't think they are required there either. Dip and Pack will run you about $100 per animal. Shipping is by cube size. Obviously mounted heads take up more space than hides and horns.

You also have the option of just bringing back photos. Personally I'm not supposed to get any more as I still have stuff at the taxidermist now (oops). I might have to bring back a couple though...

Same bow as last time Rowdy some minor changes. 70lb bow, 455grn arrows with 125grn heads instead of 100s this time. The biggest lesson I learned was my setup needed those 125grn heads. I also switched to blazers to bump the FOC up a little more. The improvement in FOC makes a big difference in flight and in terminal penetration. I'm slinging these arrows out at 285fps. Plenty of momentum and energy for plains game.

Yea health issues are very important to know up front so you can be prepared long before leaving the States. Glad it's not a bad environment to be in. How could you resist not bringing back some trophies or to me memories to hang somewhere to enjoy. That part is what would get to me especially controlling what to shoot and kill for the trip. The ole saying, I'd be like a kid in a candy store I'd want it all. The KE calculator I used showed plenty of energy, somewhere around 80# plus. So the weight and momentum ought to be fine for Plain game sized animal.
T-Minus 3 months and counting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users