7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

MADISON, Wis. (AP) Wildlife experts say cougars are returning to Wisconsin.

The Department of Natural Resources will work to come up with a plan on dealing with the powerful predator that hasn't lived in Wisconsin for a century.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point wildlife researcher Eric Anderson and DNR biologist Adrian Wydeven recently traveled to South Dakota to learn more about how the cougars. They got experience in darting and putting radio collars on the big cats.

While there have been three confirmed cougar sightings in the past two years in Wisconsin, the DNR says its received many more unconfirmed sightings.

Wydeven told the State Journal that it will be interesting to see how wolves and cougars interact. Both rely on deer for food. The wolf population in Wisconsin is now about 700.

Now I just read another article with a confirmed sighting by the Indiana DNR officers just outside of Evansville Indiana. That's in the southern part of the State not far from Louisville Kentucky. No one is saying how big the population is from these few sightings. If the deer herd is sustaining the migration east for these big cats I have to wonder when they will be in Ohio and then Pennsylvania.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Worry not about PA as far as I am concerned we already have some of the big cats. It has been my contention that the PA Game Commission does not want to admit we have some inside our borders because they would then have to spend time and money to afford them protection. This is purely conjecture on my part but I still could not shoot one as there is a part of the law that already affords them protection. I am sort of up in arms about the game commission importing martins and fishers to reduce the porcupine population. I do not know how long the school for martins is to teach them to eat only porcupines and let all the much easier to kill game alone.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

PA about every year I see on the news a reported sighting of a large cat in the Ohio forests. No one seems to ever get it in a photo or video that is usable to identify it. Ohio has a hard time keeping any predators other than coyotes, cougars here are going to be noticed and identified quickly.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Great. First, we've got WAY more than 700 wolves on Wisconsin. Cougars have been spotted in the northcentral part of the state for a few years. Now you can add cougars to the wolves and the DNR's terrible deer herd management. It's no wonder the deer herd is dwindling and so many whitetail hunters are going out-of-state for hunting.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Great. First, we've got WAY more than 700 wolves on Wisconsin. Cougars have been spotted in the northcentral part of the state for a few years. Now you can add cougars to the wolves and the DNR's terrible deer herd management. It's no wonder the deer herd is dwindling and so many whitetail hunters are going out-of-state for hunting.

When I read this I was thinking of you and Mudduck since you two are the only members on here I know are from up there. I have been reading the debate on the wolf issues for years in your State. The cougar story is interesting cause I know folks Iowa that have seen them there and the State game and fish for Iowa were wanting to deny it till one was hit by truck. Wisconsin has a huge deer kill every year compared to Ohio's deer kill. I know folks that say are deer herd is down and I know folks that say they see plenty of them. This sounds like about every State managing a deer herd.

#6 mrdann

mrdann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

MADISON, Wis. (AP) Wildlife experts say cougars are returning to Wisconsin.

The Department of Natural Resources will work to come up with a plan on dealing with the powerful predator that hasn't lived in Wisconsin for a century.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point wildlife researcher Eric Anderson and DNR biologist Adrian Wydeven recently traveled to South Dakota to learn more about how the cougars. They got experience in darting and putting radio collars on the big cats.

While there have been three confirmed cougar sightings in the past two years in Wisconsin, the DNR says its received many more unconfirmed sightings.

Wydeven told the State Journal that it will be interesting to see how wolves and cougars interact. Both rely on deer for food. The wolf population in Wisconsin is now about 700.

Now I just read another article with a confirmed sighting by the Indiana DNR officers just outside of Evansville Indiana. That's in the southern part of the State not far from Louisville Kentucky. No one is saying how big the population is from these few sightings. If the deer herd is sustaining the migration east for these big cats I have to wonder when they will be in Ohio and then Pennsylvania.

this is a good sign

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:37 AM

PA has the big cats already...Period ! We also have tons of foxes, bobcats, black bear, now martens & fishers preying on the game populations, add to that is the natural gas boom has crews drilling everywhere destroying the beauty & solitude of the northern tier state forests .....along with the game animals the other dwindling numbers in PA are the hunters themselves. Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

Lion will go where ever they have to go for food, they have been there and many other States for years. Some more wasted tax and budget dollars and someone trying to assure their crack job stability by releasing this? WI has enough problems, most knew lion where there, money they wasted on this 5 year project to announce this "expert" finding should have been used in deer management and disease research in the States wildlife IMHO

bc

Edited by bonecollector34, 19 June 2010 - 11:42 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users