5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Jason and I are always looking for another reason to buy a gun but we want something that will serve a purpose. About the only thing we don't have is a good handgun for hunting. We've been discussing various models but keep coming back to either a T/C Contender or Encore in a .243. What ever we get will mainly be used on Whitetails but hogs might be on the menue too. Nice thing about the T/C's is the interchangable barrels. Any sugestions on other handguns?

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Weatherby makes a nice one, Norm. Get Jason to get you one for your birthday, or Christmas. The mark v cfp is sweeeeeet! Available in 223, 22-250, 243 and 7mm 08. Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

I'd have a hard time making the decision between the single shot model you're leaning toward or a revolver type hand gun with rapid shot capabilities and it would have to have the ability to be scoped. I'm a believer in the single first shot being all you should need but a follow up kill shot that means reloading I'd like the next round chambered without the worry of digging one out. To me the most important thing is to have confidence in what you hunt with and put a fast clean kill on your animal. That is the only and best way in my book. Like I said I'd have a hard time with that one.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 21 May 2010 - 02:01 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

44 Ruger Super Blackhawk
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

I have an original contender with a 10 inch bull barrel in 41 mag. I have hunted with it and finished one off but never killed a deer outright with it. The contender with scope is just too heavy to carry as a second gun. A small problem that I always had was being able to pick out my target with the long eye relief scope especially in the heavy brush here in the east. Of course a wheel gun does give the satisfaction of those other 4 or 5 rounds but then you are limited to mostly handgun calibers too. Using a contender does not seem to bother Larry Weishun any.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Tirador

Tirador

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

I've hunted with the Thompson Contender in 35 REM for 20 yrs. Only comfortable to carry with a under the shoulder holster, but has always stopped whitetail at ranges up to 173 yrds. for me. 200 yrd. groups are in 2.25 in. Thought about upgrading to .357JDJ. (444 necked down to 357) for longer range. The 35 Rem. is great in open country but will not do well in heavy cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users