• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

I bot this old Marlin 30-30 lever gun for really cheap. I got it because it looked sad and needed some TLC ANNNND it had a 24" barrel :) . Last week I had reorganized my garage work area just for such firearms rehab adventures, so I retired to the garage after wife went to work and began cleaning and shining and tightening. I removed the top mounted Bushnell 4x scope ( on a levergun...NO WAY ). Later I went to Fastenal and found they carry all sizes of firearms screws and set screws. Then with some elbow grease and a newish front and rear sight, and some Murphy's Oil Soap and Old English furn polish it came out really great. It had a pretty much dirty but mostly unblem walnut stock and fore end. I Googled the serial num and it was mfd in 1952. Wish I had taken a 'before' pic. Anyway, today I got some of the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo and took it to the local range I belong to. I was shocked to see it was on perfect zero at 25 yrds, and even more shocked when I moved my target back to 100 yrds and it was shooting 3" high over the bull. Just where I wanted it. Even with my glasses on it shoots great. Then I saw the gong out at 200
( I was on our 200 yrd range) and I thot oh what the heck, so I let two fly. Open sights and eyeglasses... gonnnnng... gonnnng. I was smilin all the way to ChinaMart( for grocs ). I can taste the venison now.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

Too cool, I get the occasional itch to take a lever out in Penn's Woods. One of these years.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:39 AM

My dad always had a real fascination with the lever gun. He would say you could get a real fast second shot to which I always replied if the first one is good no need for a fast second shot. I do have several lever guns but very seldom shoot them any more. I do plan on getting my dads last lever gun out this summer, a Savage 99 model 243. I removed the scope and replaced it but have not shot it as of yet. I also have two Winchester model 1892 rifles that are getting almost too valuable to shoot. One is a 38 WCF or 38-40 and the other is a 32-20 which I do not consider a deer caliber.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Way to go, Charlie! The oldies are sweet. Posted Image

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Just bring that beautiful old "Thuty-Thuty" back to the PA deer forests where it belongs for a snowbelt hunt Charlie!Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

My dad always had a real fascination with the lever gun. He would say you could get a real fast second shot to which I always replied if the first one is good no need for a fast second shot. I do have several lever guns but very seldom shoot them any more. I do plan on getting my dads last lever gun out this summer, a Savage 99 model 243. I removed the scope and replaced it but have not shot it as of yet. I also have two Winchester model 1892 rifles that are getting almost too valuable to shoot. One is a 38 WCF or 38-40 and the other is a 32-20 which I do not consider a deer caliber.

I'm on along search for my dads rifle too. I think it got sold by an outside family member to some guy in Cross Forks, PA which is near where our family camp was ( from 1920 to present).
Dad had a Winchester Model 55 in .30-30 caliber, probably with a half or 'button' magazine. He bought it at Pierson's Hardware in Renovo some time after high school( 1933 ). The model 55 was only made from 1924 thru 1935 so that narrpows it down a lot. The serial number MAY BE in the range of 18000 thru 20550. It may or may not have been a "take-down" model and should have had a half magazine. I just received this eve a lot of info form my sis in Emporium that indicates it's either at camp or was sold in Cross Fork so I may put an ad in the paper some time to see what comes of it. These leverguns sure are intruiging no matter who the prev owner was.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

Congrats, I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Back when I first became disabled, and before I was aproved for my VA Pension, I use to frequent the pawn shops looking for guns such as that. Guns that had good bores and actions but scarred up stocks and barrels with surface rust or the bluing wore off. I'd buy them cheap, give them a good cleaning, then reblue them and refinish the stocks. When finished I'd resell them for often double or triple what I'd payed for them. A few I even kept for myself. I redid an old Savage single barrel 12 ga. once and a week after buying it took it back the the pawn shop to show the owner. He only believed it was the same guin when he checked the serial number. Posted Image You just have to be careful not to mess with valuable guns. Some you can refinish but most lose value if you do. It's just a hobby now but I often have friends of Jason bring guns to me to redo. I really enjoy it.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users