Looking For A Hunting Stabilizer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

I figured I would give a mini-report on the Axion 6" model stabilizer I put on my Monster 7.0 bow.

I have long used a 10" to 12" weight-forward stabilizer for hunting. The bottom line is that they actually stabilize your sight picture at full draw and that's what it's all about. (Not dampening vibration, not "looking cool", not "balancing the bow" so that it does or does not fall forward on the shot, and so on and so on...) Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances in recent years, I find myself hunting out of a pop-up ground blind far more often than ever before. Well, those of you running 12" B-Stingers on your rigs have probably already figured out that those bad boys tend to catch on your blind at the most inopportune times. :doh2: Additionally, they don't fit into most bow cases, so then you're looking at needing a quick disconnect. (Something I ran for years, but have just recently been a little perturbed about needing to mess with on my "simple" hunting bow.)

With all of these things in mind I decided to go in search of a shorter stabilizer that still actually offered some stabilization. At first, I was convinced that Stealth was what I wanted. (The "hunter" model of B-Stinger still being 10.5" long, I wanted something in the 6" to 8" range maximum.) I just so happened to spot the 6" Axion at my local Mathews shop and decided to give it a look. Well, for those familiar with it, the Harmonic Stabilizer in the end really does make it quite "weight-forward". (This is even with the smaller harmonic dampers throughout the rest of the stabilizer body.) The actual body of the stabilizer is very light and rigid. This further helps with allowing that Harmonic Stabilizer in the end to take the majority of the weight to the front.

Probably all that really needs to be said is that when I installed the 6" Axion onto the front of my bow and drew it back, I instantly got a big grin on my face. This is because I felt that "waggle" in the bow that typically only happens when running a longer, weight-forward stabilizer. (Target shooters will know exactly what I'm talking about. Long, weight-forward stabilizers fight the side to side bow rotation or what most people call "torque".) After a couple quick "waggles" back and forth, the bow settles in and is very resistant to movement in this plane. For a 6" stabilizer, this is pretty rare. One benefit I think it should offer over a solid stabilizer like a Stealth is that the open design should be more resistant to crosswinds physically blowing the bow to one side or the other. (Sort of like what they claim about multi-rod 3-D stabilizers.)

All told, I am quite pleased with the actual stabilization this product offers for being so short and relatively light. Additionally, the internal dampers do a good job of quelling vibration. So, even though it's not a priority to me, it's nice to know I'm not missing out in that department either. At this time, Axion is definitely making my favorite hunting stabilizer. I have several brass and aluminum harmonic dampers in various sizes I plan to toy around with in this stabilizer as well. But, it seems pretty perfect out of the package. Sorry, but I can't comment on the 4" or 2" models.

Posted Image
Posted Image

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

That's awesom Jer - could not find a 6" to do the job last year, which is why I had a 12" Poston built. They have the weights you can add to the end until the right feel is achieved. I didn't have any problems with my poston in Wyoming hunting from ground blinds, but my blinds are pretty roomy. Good thing to know. I use a QD on my Poston, which is why I switched back to my regular 6" Doinker during whitetail season here at home...that and the longer stabilizer was a bit cumbersom in the treestand. May have to check this one out for my whitetail seasons at home.

Posted Image

Edited by Hatchet Jack, 27 May 2010 - 06:34 AM.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#3 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the review Jeremiah. I love my B-Stinger stabilizers. But, I am one that had a little contact between my Double Bull blind and my B-Stinger at the moment of truth. The buck was walking left to right at about 24 yards. Right at release, my B-Stinger touched the wall of the blind. The arrow struck the deer in the hind quarter and the buck stopped. He moved farther to the right and stopped at 18 yards. I put a second arrow through the boiler room and he ran straight at the blind. Fortunately, it worked out ok. My son, Trace, was with me and the buck crashed right in front of the blind. This picture shows how close to the blind the buck fell.

Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

I've shot a 12" Specialty Archery stabilizer out of an Ameristep Brickhouse (same dimensions as a typical Double Bull) quite a bit. It's a tight fit, but I had been making it work. There are a few other factors that tend to vary experiences.

1) Draw Length
I pull 30.5" to 31" on my compounds and 32" on recurves/longbows. Simply put, I take up more room in a blind than many individuals. (I have to be a bit closer to the window or my release arm elbow won't clear the back of the blind.)

2) B-Stinger Specific Design
This stabilizer, in particular, has a large disk weight on the end. They are, in my opinion, still the best stabilizer on the market in the 12" and under category for actually stabilizing one's sight picture. But, their length in addition to the large disk weight on the very end makes them tough to maneuver in some hunting situations than even other stabilizers of similar length, unfortunately.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Emailed Weaver's (Kreamer, PA) last night to order me in a B-Stinger... called and emailed tonight to change that to a 6" Axion in Lost, (they also offer a nifty 5" to mathew's dealers). Picking that up, getting my draw weight cranked up, getting a slew of new Mathew's Edition CE's, and having everything checked over. Looking forward to going and dealing with Keith and Judy again ( www.weaversarchery.com ) and getting another massive $5 stromboli a mile down the road.
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Jeremiah. One of the better of the few detailed reviews I've read on this new controversial design for a silencer/stabilizer. I like the idea of the Mathews harmonic stabilizer and combining it with the Mathews Harmonic dampening inserts. I'd like to test drive one first though. The last time I checked the three Mathews dealers in town they didn't stock them yet. I talked to Dave at Axion and he thought one of the three had placed an order.

I have been using the Stealth 6" for all my bows. I added the Stealth 1 oz. washer plus a Sims 1 oz. stabilizer enhancer on the end of it to add to the already built in weight forward in the Stealth stabilizer. So I guess I went from a 6" stabilizer to a 7.5" and added 2 oz. to the 10 oz. making it a 12 oz. stabilizer for my hunting setup on my Drenalin and my M7. The great thing is I can get it in the bow case with no problem.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

I placed an order for a 2" Axion stabilizer for my Z7 last night. I can't wait to give it a try. I've had a 6" Stealth on it since I bought the bow, and it seems to really fight me when coming "up" on the target. Without a stabilizer it is much better. I think the Axion will be a great addition to my Z7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users