• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

- 45 lbs of lead from wheel weights: $20
- Lee .50 minie ball mold: $27
- Old hot plate, pans, ladle: FREE

= approximately 600 bullets for $0.13 a peice.

How many bullets I had to cast before they all started coming out good: about 200

Time invested: 10 hours on and off.

I learned that if you want to have a softer alloy using wheel weights, you don't have to mix in pure lead. Just don't flux the molten lead right away. The harder metals form a skin on top of the lead that you can skim off repeatedly until mostly lead is all that's left. Then flux and pour. I could easily see the difference in the straight wheel weight bullets I cast and the ones cast from the mostly lead alloy. Also, the softer lead is easier to work with than the straight wheel weights.

I will try my new ammo out as soon as possible and post the results. If the stuff is good, I would be happy to send some to whoever wants to try it for free. I couldn't use that much ammo in ten years myself, so some buddies are gonna have to help me out.

I plan on making my own lube too. I scavenged some beeswax and found a recipe that calls for just that and shortening. I read about people using just about anything slippery for BP bullet lube so I'm not too worried about the science there.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users