1 reply to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

First thing I'd like to get some feedback on these "boil on" type fletchings I'm reading about and hearing about. I saw a commercial Michael Waddel is doing - he said there's every kind of fletch available with the boil on type now - even feathers. I've seen them hanging on the hook at the store and they are VERY expensive. However, so is glue, good vanes/feathers, and my time to build them. Do they come in right/left Helical? Do they work? They look heavy - what do they weigh? Anyone actually use them in a side-by-side comparison?

Second, I've switched back to aluminum arrows for economy because i shoot a LOT of arrows and find they fly just fine. I've been fletching everything with 5" feathers and they really fly nice even in wind. But, feathers tear up easily. Is there a plastic vane out there that pulls enough air to keep a heavy aluminum arrow straight and true like the feathers? Most of the vanes I'm finding today are really soft and just don't work well. I have some old "Arizona" type vanes and they're just junk - don't stabilize at all. I'm currently shooting 2317's with 125g heads and my arrow with feathers weighs 580g. None of the shorter vanes that work well on carbons work for aluminum - I've tried three different ones in my drawer and none of them pull enough air to stabilize like the feathers.

If I'm stuck with feathers, what can I do to make them more durable? The feathers on my recurve arrows seem to last longer - I'm assuming because the recurve doesn't shoot as hard as my compound. Are some feathers naturally more durable?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

O.K. Let's see if we can generate some interest by talking about the FOB - stands for Fletching Only Better. I've never shot them, and only know what I see on their website. I've heard both IBA and ASA have banned them. Anyone shot the FOB?

It's an airfoil that slips behind the nock. supposed to create highly accurate and stable arrow flight with only 30% the cross sectional drag highly reducing the affect of cross wind.

Any stories or experience?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users