Photo

Anyone Have Any Experience With Barnett?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

My father has an older Barnett Quad 300 crossbow that was actually defying the laws of physics by impacting a good two feet higher at 30 yards than at 20 yards using the same top crosshair line on the scope.

I had him shoot some at a little farther distance and stood off to the side to observe the bolt/arrow flight. You could clearly see that the tip was "kicking" upward out of the crossbow and causing them to rise almost like a jet getting ready to take off on their way to the target. A little research revealed that the bolts/arrows he was using were toward the light end of the spectrum for the Quad 300. Additionally, they had flat nocks instead of half moon nocks. (Barnett strongly recommends the moons.)

Sooo... (I hope he doesn't read this.) I bought a half dozen CX Surge bolts for him for Father's Day a couple weeks ago. I was able to tell him I wanted to check over his crossbow last week just as an excuse to take it and do some test shooting. The Surge bolts are virtually identical in outside diameter and grains per inch to a 2219 aluminum bolt which is what the Quad 300 actually came with from the factory. (They even have the correct nocks.) HOWEVER, this crossbow still isn't quite right. I've sighted it dead on at 20 yards. Now, when I move back to 30 yards and shoot with the same crosshair line the bolt impacts about 6" low. (Which is good!) However, if I use the next crosshair line down in the scope, the bolts impact about 6" high at 30 yards. |(*,) This isn't the way it's supposed to work. The 5 horizontal lines in the scope are supposed to go from 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards. But, it seems dad is going to have to go 20, 40... and so on. Which will mean he will just have to "split the difference" for odd yardages like 30. Simply put, the spacing of the lines in this scope is simply too wide for the speed of the crossbow.

The scope is a Barnett scope... So, that shouldn't be an issue. (I would think it was made for the crossbow... Unless they offer different spacing for different crossbows and a mistake was made along the way.) I have contacted Barnett and their C.S. left some to be desired. (They were snappy and even sent me a PDF of the owner's manual which had been misplaced. But, outside of that I got nothin' in the way of advice or suggestions for the issue at hand.)

At this point, I'm about to recommend he purchase a new crossbow because the Quad 300, while still very effective, is now just old enough of a model that putting a new sighting solution on it wouldn't be cost-effective. Before we do that, however, does anyone have any words of advise, wisdom, or encouragement? :D :unsure:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm not suggesting (because I have no idea) but, what would more tip weight accomplish in this set up. Would it cause a drop in speed that would translate to altitude over distance and match better with the scope lines? Or would everything just drop a little across the board and give the same results with a slightly different 20 yd zero?

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Jerimiah, I haven't really heard too many good things about Barnetts. What grain broadhead are you using? I've been told that to get your arrows to fly right for a crossbow that you should be shooting 125 gr. However I doubt that's your problem. It could be the scope but I'm guessing the piece that holds the arrow in place may be holding it too tight or the rail has a problem. The arrows shouldn't be kicking up like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users