21 replies to this topic

#16 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

The CE 350's really are essentially equivalent to the PSE300's. The carbon express designation of 350 spine in reality is 0.337" for the Maxima hunters. The PSE x-weave is somewhat stiffer than their spine designation would lead you to believe. The PSE 300 X-Weave's actual spine is 0.340" They are really close.

If the shafts were the same weight then .330 is a good guess to get the draw weight to 70lbs. However, if they weighed more I'd need stiffer.

The bow is only rated for 70# and I've got two dozen PSE arrows I need to use up before I crank it up another 1.5lbs and buy new shafts.

Oh I see - makes all the sense in the world to me now. Yep for that little gain in upping the poundage isn't worth the cost of 2 dozen new arrows. You'll need that many arrows in Africa and you'll be deadly as you are now. So why change anything with your setup right.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 29 June 2010 - 12:13 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#17 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Looking good so far for 60 yrds Leo! Slick tricks are a creation by a local boy down here-therefore alot of the local boys shoot them. They swear by them!! For the most part, they make a mess out of flesh! Should do well for you.

#18 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

Looking good so far for 60 yrds Leo! Slick tricks are a creation by a local boy down here-therefore alot of the local boys shoot them. They swear by them!! For the most part, they make a mess out of flesh! Should do well for you.

Congrats to the inventive Texan! Slicktricks really are great flying heads. I'm very impressed with them.

I'm also planning on bringing some Nockturnal lighted nocks (another Texan invention). I bought one from their website http://www.doubletakearchery.com/ and shot it a couple dozen times. It performs every time and doesn't seem to effect arrow flight out to 33 yards (I haven't tested them further yet).
Posted Image

#19 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Matt.

My advise is to make sure you go through the exercise of broadhead tuning per Easton's diagram in my broadhead tuning post. IMO, the goal of broadhead tuning should be to optimize your draw weight for best arrow flight. Your field point flight and mechanical broadhead flight will benefit as well from this exercise. My bow is now set at 68 1/2 lbs, not because I can't draw any heavier but because at that weight I get the best accuracy out of my setup.

I will be sure to do that, Leo.

I've had a chance to try my Slick Trick Mags, only out to 20 yards though. So far I'm really impressed. I've never had a problem with broadheads, but the ST's are definitely some of the best I've tried. No aluminum burrs left in these broadheads. I can't wait to try them at longer distances and on a whitetail this fall.

#20 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

nice Leo...very nice....

#21 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Just went to the Gold Tip website and built my arrows that I use now to see the specifics of what my arrows are... and I wanted to get an opinion and see what ya'll think. They're the Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 in black, 29" long the spine is .400", the total weight including a 100gr tip is 367gr, with a front of center balance of 9.87% Just curious if my bow is 70# draw with a speed of about 275fps does this arrow match up for a good whitetail/ feral pig arrow? I'm just wanting to make sure I've got everything balanced the way it needs to be so I don't end up with any not so pleasant surprises if I do get a chance to take a shot on a deer or pig this year.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 05 September 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Semper Fi

#22 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Just went to the Gold Tip website and built my arrows that I use now to see the specifics of what my arrows are... and I wanted to get an opinion and see what ya'll think. They're the Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 in black, 29" long the spine is .400", the total weight including a 100gr tip is 367gr, with a front of center balance of 9.87% Just curious if my bow is 70# draw with a speed of about 275fps does this arrow match up for a good whitetail/ feral pig arrow? I'm just wanting to make sure I've got everything balanced the way it needs to be so I don't end up with any not so pleasant surprises if I do get a chance to take a shot on a deer or pig this year.

The specs look ok, although I admit I find I need more FOC and a heavier arrow to get the best broadhead flight from my setup. This is one of the reasons that broadhead tuning is such a great exercise to go through with the bow. It really helps you eliminate surprises.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users