• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

80 and 93% humidity. Over cast sky just waiting to rain a slight wind out of the west. 50 yard line bench rest. JSG 3f loose powder 80 & 90 grains used in test home cast .490 roundball pillow tick patch with moosemilk for a lube T/C PA Hunter .50 caliber with single trigger and buckhorn sights I wanted to see if the rifle reacted to a difference of 10 grains. Also there is a claim that APP powder reacts to humidity. I wanted to test that theory as well and see if the humidity affected the shot. Posted Image I started on a clean barrel. The first test was with 80 grains of JSG and the first hit was low left, in the black tape. It then for some reason started shooting to the right but still low. So I adjusted for the drop ball and the right swing and the next five in the orange and bull was the result. Not too bad actually once I learned the rifle. I did not want to adjust the sight as this is sighted in for Goex and shoots dead on. Posted Image Actually the top three are with 80 grains of JSG and the bottom three with 90 grains of the same powder. The patches look perfect. NO burn outs, and no tears. Even with the 90 grains of powder. These patches are cut from the muzzle which account for the ruff edged. Posted Image Shooting 90 grains of JSG on the fouled bore (at no time did I swab the barrel clean during the shooting) again I noticed with 90 grains if shot to the right. I adjusted and #3 came about. I then adjusted again and 4-8 appeared. For a 5 shot group, that is not too bad in my book. Of course this is only 50 yards. And the buckhorn sights were really easy to pick up on this over cast day. My impressions of the powder in a traditional rifle... it seemed to have good power. Having no chronograph I could only guess at the velocity, but I would not be afraid to deer hunt with that 90 grain load. Accuracy was more then acceptable. Especially with the 90 grains of powder. Also because I use a liquid patch lube, I felt it was cleaning the muzzle of the bore and I did not get that crust build up in the rifle. Loading was easy for the most part. Although like Frontier Gander said, I really gave the roundball a good hard press. Also noted was the excellent condition of the recovered patches. As humid as it was today (which could be attested to from the gallon of sweat I lost out here) the powder did not seem to react. Using a RWS cap, ignition was instant, and no hangfires or misfires the entire day. Also there was no clumping noted in the powder, and it poured easy. Also the smoke it gave off because of the humidity I am guessing, was most amusing. You'd fire and the whole table would be in a large white cloud of smoke. Overall I was kind of impressed with the powder. It did real well out of that rifle. If it were not so expensive and was not so hard to find (I drove over 250 miles one way to get this stuff) around me, I would be using it more. Pretty nice stuff. Clean up was real easy also. But I should note, traditional rifles IMO always do clean up easy.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

You did real good in the accuracy dept. Those patches were as you said, perfect. Did you notice whether the JSG shot any lower or did they hit where they would have with goex. When I tried APP it was the standard APP in 2F river gravel. It definately was not as powerful as 2F goex. My pattern was about 2 inches low with APP compared to Goex. I also was plagued with hangfires with that 2F APP. I have never tried the JSG nor did I ever try the regular APP in 3F. Of course if you have to travel that far to get resupplied that would really make it expensive. My eye is healing very nicely so I may get the inline out and shoot a few rounds just for fun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

The only thing that surprised me was it was shooting to the side. In fact I want to get that same rifle out and try it with Goex. But, I could have adjusted the sight and it would have been dead on. I have some of the APP 2f at the house, and your right... it looks like fish tank gravel. Power wise, the JSG seemed to have good power.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users