• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Well, as some of you may remember, I bought a minie ball bullet mold a while back. They shot terrible out of my staghorn (26" barrel w/ 1:28" twist) and would even fit in my buckstalker (24" barrel w/ 1:28" twist). So, Having a bunch of lead still to use, I bought a .490" round ball mold. I figured that an undersize ball with proper size patch could work in either gun. After I already had the mold, I did some reading and found that PRB's are not supposed to work very well in fast twist barrels. Rookie mistake, right? Well I cast a couple hundred just to play with. I bought some .015" prelubed patches and went to the range with my buckstalker. I started out with 45 grain loads of fffg APP. I was pleased with how easy it was to start the ball because there is no rifling for the first .5" of the bore. After that, a few taps on the ramrod and the rest was smooth and fairly easy. The biggest corncern, from what I've read, is that the faster rifling can just tear up the patch and not spin the ball correctly. The ball going down the bore easily made me think that my chances were slight for success. I started shooting from a seated position at 25 yards. First three shots made a nice 1.5" group. I was surprised. I then loaded 75 grain loads. The first shot made that 1.5" group into a 2" group. That could have been (most likely was) my shooting. I then put up a new target and backed up to 50 yards. One shot landed in the bulls-eye, the other 3" directly below. I ran out of time and was happy enough that this gun with PRB's will easily kill targets and game.

So, am I just really lucky, or do PRB's shoot just fine out of modern inlines with fast rifling? The best part is that the gun stays completly clean. Every shot loaded just like the first. I could neither see or feel any fouling. APP and PRB is a match made in heaven for sure. I can only imagine how great this would work in the older style, long barrel, slow twist guns.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm thinkin' you might want to play the lottery soon. :P :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Your efforts are not the normal. Especially your efforts with what could be called a hunting load of powder. Most of us that have tried the prb in a fast twist found more of a pattern than a group and nearly destroyed patches. I am a little surprised that the minnie did not work any better for you. You may want to try a r.e.a.l. bullet. That is rifling engaged at loading such as a maxi ball or great plains bullet. The problem with a minnie ball is that the rifling is not fully engaged on loading but only upon firing. The possibility of gas cutting the side of the bullet before it expands to seal the bore is ever present. I do not even try them as I am concerned that the bullet will move off the powder when carried for hunting and present a real problem at the shot. If I recall correctly the minnie was developed for war time use as they loaded much easier/quicker than a prb or r.e.a.l. bullet resulting in faster shooting.

For most of us the reason that a prb does not shoot well out of a fast twist barrel is the very small bearing surface of the prb on the rifling tends to allow it to slide rather than grip the rifling. When I read that you had bought a minnie ball mold and then a prb mold I must confess I thought you had totally wasted your cash. Glad to see that you got some good results.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

I figured it was luck. The traditions buckstalker I was shooting with has some fairly deep/sharp rifling. Maybe that gives the patch enough grip to work? I couldn't find a single patch. There was a tree or shrub dropping little, round, yellow leaves that looked just like the patches. They had blown all over the shooting area and I didn't know what was what. If I can recover a spent patch from a 75 gr. load and it looks good, then I'll know if it really works or if just about anything will shoot decent from 25-50 yds.

How far out should I look for the patches to land?

Edited by Honky Cat, 08 July 2010 - 09:12 AM.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Normally a patch will not be further than a couple of feet to several yards from the muzzle. As soon as they exit the barrel the patch opens up and acts like a parachute and quickly falls to the ground. If your patches look all torn up or are burned then a felt wad under the prb on top of the powder may give a bit more accuracy. TC calls them bore buttons. My son uses them in his Lyman deer stalker and lubes them before loading. I tried them but did not seem to help my accuracy. When I tried them dry i.e. unlubed it tore them apart.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users