Homemade Dough Ball

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

It's summer time which means fishing time in my recreational world.
How does this sound for a carp (and hopefully) cat dough ball recipe?

- Crushed Frosted Flakes
- Strawberry Jello Mix
- Molasses
- Vanilla Extract
- Garlic Powder

All mixed together with just enough water to make everything form a nice, solid ball.

I know there are bunches of recipes out there that may even be better. But these are all things I have in the house right now and I'm really not wanting to mess with actually cooking anything just to fish with in this heat (like with a grits or cornmeal based dough ball). I know the carp will love the sweet and I'm hoping that cats will be able to detect the stink of the garlic just enough to bite it as well. Is there anything I should add or omit? Do any of you think that the garlic will be a turn off for the carp? I'm just trying to pull "double duty". Is that really possible?

Please also share your best homemade carp and catfish baits here as well. Let's get some conversation goin'!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm thinking Flour,Egg,Salt, Water, yeast,to make dough, Flavor with your ingriedients, especially the molasses and vanilla. I think your recipe by itself would make a darn good breakfast but wouldnt hold together very well. Cats around here just love wheat bread squeezed onto the hook, or sections of cheese hot dog, leftover bait goes on the grill

Edited by mudduck, 08 July 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

My son-in-law used to make his own dough balls but I have no idea what he used. For catfish I always used chicken livers.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

My son-in-law used to make his own dough balls but I have no idea what he used. For catfish I always used chicken livers.

Another big vote for Chicken Livers! Honestly one of the best catfish baits there is. Available at a grocery store near you.

Here's a hint. Only use fresh chicken livers. Never try to freeze them. Frozen and then thawed chicken livers are practically useless for bait in my experience.

Other good catfish baits are fresh raw (freshwater) mussel meat and fresh raw shrimp (don't know why but catfish like these.) Unfortunately you need to use food grade shrimp they don't seem to like those slightly orange bait shrimp.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

The recipe you are using Jeremiah is for carp or at least that is what I have seen used around here. Cat fish will hit it I guess.

Chicken livers work very good.

What I found that works also is bluegill fish - smaller the better. Hookem up a live on a bobber or float and let them loose. Another way is use one freshly dead and squeezed (under your foot works) so the juices are flowing to get the chum in the water down stream.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

The recipe you are using Jeremiah is for carp or at least that is what I have seen used around here. Cat fish will hit it I guess.

Chicken livers work very good.

What I found that works also is bluegill fish - smaller the better. Hookem up a live on a bobber or float and let them loose. Another way is use one freshly dead and squeezed (under your foot works) so the juices are flowing to get the chum in the water down stream.

It's true that Bluegill are great catfish bait. I'm just cautioning that they are not legal bait to use in every state! Check you regulations. Some states prohibit the use of game fish as bait and if bluegills are classified as gamefish in that state they are illegal to use.
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

It's true that Bluegill are great catfish bait. I'm just cautioning that they are not legal bait to use in every state! Check you regulations. Some states prohibit the use of game fish as bait and if bluegills are classified as gamefish in that state they are illegal to use.

Leo thanks you. You're correct and I forgot to mention it. I surely don't want to see anyone break the law and get fined over a bluegill. Use a largemouth instead. Posted Image Seriously the largest chubs or chad type minnow bait works about as good. Squish one for me. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

I use to make a dough bait that was deadly on both carp and cats.

Stawberry Jello

Briar Rabbit Black Molasses

Cornmeal

Garlic

I'd mix it up and put in a baking pan. Stick it in the oven on low heat and cook till very thick, almost like tar. Then, after it cooled, I'd roll it in a ball and wrap the ball in plastic wrap. After that I'd sit the ball in the sun for a few days. Then it was ready. It was so gummy it stayed on a hook good and both cats and carp went crazy over it. We use to go to a pay lake and got our pics on their bulletin board on a regular basis with big stringers of cat's and carp.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

I used to watch an older gentleman catch large stringers of catfish down at the river. He would take a can of cheap dog food, punch several holes in it, attach a length of string to it, then toss it a short distance out into the current. He would sit back and smoke his pipe for awhile before baiting up with nightcrawlers, then cast his fishing line out directly downstream of the dog food can. He'd catch cats all evening as they'd come in on the scent trail. Best method I've seen yet for cats ! I suppose any bait used in a scent trail would work equally well....kinda like the 1st pot of morning coffee & box of doughnuts draws the whiskered crew at hunting camp!Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 10 July 2010 - 03:40 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

I know "chumming" for cats works, but never would have thought of such an easy way to keep a large amount of scent in an area for a long time, Phil.

I'm thinkin' you shoulda charged something for that kinda info. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Phil I like that one. Thanks - I might have to use that one. I heard something similar used for striper fishing in some inland reservoirs here in Ohio and I thought that was strange.

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

The key to effective chumming is you have to have either some current or boat movement. In a reservoir let the boat drift in the wind if you have no current. Too much current is a problem too because it disperses the chum line to thinly. The idea is to establish a scentline the fish can follow to your baits.

Simply chunking chum into still waters from the bank isn't worth it in my experience. Mostly what I get when I have tried that is a lot of turtles.
Posted Image

#13 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

I know "chumming" for cats works, but never would have thought of such an easy way to keep a large amount of scent in an area for a long time, Phil.

I'm thinkin' you shoulda charged something for that kinda info. Posted Image

I'll admit that a few evenings when the bass weren't co-operating I'd follow the old fella's tactic and attach a punctured can of dog food to a metal stringer and lower it off the back of the boat while anchored under a bridge. I'd open the tacklebox and dig out a 2" square cut piece of old nylon stocking, put a tablespoon or so of dogfood in it, fold the corners together and pierce with a #2 hook....then cast out and wait for the action to start. Sure was fun but I learned quickly to wait until the wife had removed the stockings before replenishing my tacklebox inventory!Posted Image

*btw...cut up hot dogs & especially garlic beef sticks work well as bait too.

Edited by Phil, 18 July 2010 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

Jere, here is a proven Ohio and Beaver river doughball receipe for carp. . 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 big tablespoon of sugar, mix in sufficient water to make a gooey mixture much like bubble gum. . Place this mixture blob onto a old cotton rag and pull the ends up and tie the rag corners with a string. We used a old sheet many times, torn into appropiate sizes. Place the mixture in the rag into boiling water for 25 min or so, Cook until firm in consistency. Jab with a fork while cooking to see how firm the blob is. Cook until you a very firm blob. Remove from the boiling water water, run cold water on it a short time, remove the rag wrapping, and allow to cool outside on a plate or in your kitchen, I would cut the boiled blob into small sections to cool quicker. When cooled to a warm handeling temperature, I would then pour vanilla extract onto the boiled blobs and work it into the mixture with my fingers. I used copious amounts of vanilla extract, but do not over do it. Some folks reverse the amounts of flour cornmeal, using 1 cup cornmeal and 1/2 cup flour. I found the 1 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal stayed on the hook better, but you might need to cook it longer like 35 minutes. Those amounts wil make a small batch of doughball, I usually doubled the amounts to make a larger doughball amount. After working in the vanilla extract I would take all the small chunks and work then all into a larger ball or two balls, fishing with one, and saving the other ball for another fishing day in the refrigerator. It will last a week or so in the refrigerator. Place your large balls of doughballs when fully cooled and vanilla extract worked into it, into a ziplock bag. When using a cold one, take it out a few hours before fishing and allow it to warm up. The strawberry jello mixture can be added in various quanities to improve the smell and flavor. I am not sure how it will affect the cooking time with the jello added. If adding the jello mixture add with the dry ingredients before adding water. Add vwater a little at a time to get the right consistency, Maybe 1/2 cup water with the original 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup oatmeal. It has to placed in the cotton rag and boiled to get the right results. As Leo and others said, chicken livers for catfish, but I have caught catfish on the doughballs also. I have never baked my mixture in the oven as oher suggested. I guarantee this to stay on the hook well while casting. Good luck fishing folks ! Once you have done this a few times, it is quick and easy. HH in Pa *dog food can used as chum is a excellent idea.

#15 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Great info thanks guys. I used to chum with garlic corn for carp. or use soured crawfish tails. My new waters has a ton of bluegills in it that steal bait so I use more livers for cats and stopped fishing carp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users