• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I love archery hunting antelope because it's such a challenge. When it comes to archery antelope I hunt a little more aggressive with a decoy and being able to keep moving covering a lot of ground.
I have a Montana decoy and it's ok but it's a pain to set up and not very mobile IMO but is light. The Flambeau full body decoy is awesome but not something to pack very far and is bulky. The Mel Dutton decoy is probably the most mobile and is better suited for spot and stock IMO.
Now I have found a new antelope decoy I am thinking of giving it a try Be The Decoy. At first I thought this is just a gimmick but I met this guy and watched his videos and this is the real deal and my type of antelope hunting up close and personal. It's kind of a crazy concept in one way but the native American used it for years.
Check the link out and tell me your thoughts.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

The hat decoy should work well in an archery only situation. Certainly not a good idea if rifle or muzzloader hunters are also afield.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

I've seen them used on several tv hunts and the seem to work pretty good. ALso seen them wlak beside horses as a decoy too. I guess antelopes can count legs( to 4) and dont care if its cow or horse or decoy.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Even if it worked great, I would still hide that hat from my friends and family that don't hunt. If they didn't understand the need, they could never forgive those means to get a good shot. If it doesn't work, you would have a cool halloween costume.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

An outfitter had one of these suites where I hunted in Colorado. It rained so much that it came down to a spot and stalk style hunt. S&S hunts on a Pronghorn is one the most challenging hunts. Anyway the hat and suite worked somewhat. One guide put it on and took some bow hunters with him. It got the buck to come into 80 yards where one of the bow hunters that regularly practiced that distance( and further) took his shot at this buck and pinned him through the shoulders. The story was a funny one when you where in camp that afternoon.

I have seen a guide lay in a ditch and wave a small white flag on top a 4 foot stick to draw a buck into bow range. It didn't work. I have read where it has. I also saw my guide on our spot and stalk take his large binocs and place then on his head with one hand and get down on the ground with his other three. He tried to look like another buck pronghorn to get the attention of another buck a couple hundred yards away. The idea was to get the other buck to come in and try chasing him away from his herd of does while one of us took a shot. That sorta worked but none of us where going to take a shot over 50 yards. The pronghorn buck came in to check this odd duck out but stayed out about 90 yards running around in front of us at full draw LOL.

Come rifle season I'd highly recommend you leave it in the closet.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Been using the betsy for awhile now, last year my cliant and I went from a 1000 yards to 45 yards, during archery season, every time the lopes would look our way we stopped moooooed a little they would go back to feeding pay up no mind,

http://www.outfoxedp...ts.com/zebu.htm

works good on desert mulies to

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

With decoying or using scents it all comes down to the mood of the animal, the time of year, the stage of the rut and if a doe or cow is in estrus.
I have had antelope come on the run from six hundred yards and then sometimes no response at all.
One tactic that works on all animals in the rut is to get between them and there harem.
R.L the cow decoy is great and it does allow the shooter to be some what hands free if solo hunting. That's the one thing I liked about the mel dutton decoy. You could use it as a shield and walk upright and strait to them.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users