10 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

Since I got me a new crossbow, my Horton Legend XL 175, I no longer needed my old Jennings Devastator. Heck, I hunted with it for around 12 years so I think I got my use out of it. Posted Image I originaly gave $200 for it and decided I'd put it on Craigs List for $100. I might could have gotten more but as I said, I'd gotten my use out of it and then some. Besides I wanted to see someone else do the same. I know a lot of folks can't afford the prices of these new ones nowadays. Even at that price, which included 6 new arrows with broadheads, people were still trying to talk me down on it without having even seen it other than pics. Well, today a fellow called and said he needed one for his disabled wife. He sounded like, and was, just a down home country boy who loved hunting and was trying to get a crossbow so his wife could still hunt with him. He offered a deal that made us both happy. I've been looking to get another .22 for squirrel hunting with my grandkids and with Jason. He traded me a brand new Savage model 64 .22 semi auto straight accross. Not a blemish on it nowhere. I let him shoot the bow first and he fell in love with it. Long story short we both got what we wanted and shook hands smiling. He even recognised me from being on tv with Dave in Wyoming how cool is that? Posted Image Here's a pic of my new .22. So whatcha? Did I do ok on the trade? It's super light and is accurate. Plus I shot 3 clips without a single jam. Main thing is we both are happy. I always kinda liked Savage's rifles. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 July 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

Good deal for sure. I've always said and still belive, "Nothing like getting a new (to you) toy to perk a body's spririts!" In this case, Spirithawk's!

.22s are one of my favorite cailbres and always fun to plink with.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

LOL,SH,that was great deal.............My son Travis Travis has the same .22 rifle,he loves it..........
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image Way to go Norm. As long as all parties are happy, it was a great trade.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

Good deal indeed. I just looked up the savage 64 and they range from 100 to 175.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thanks guys. It gives me an excuse to buy another scope too. Posted Image I've had some guys down south a ways tell me this little rifle is bringing as much as $190. I think I'll like it and that's what counts. It feels very light, at 5 pounds and handles Federal .22's very well. Not a single jam in 50 rounds. The clip seems a bit bulky, in the way it's made, but looks aside it's very solid and well made. It shoulders very well too but with my eyes I can't see the iron sights worth a darn. A scope is definitely in it's future. Can't wait to go after some squirrels with it.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

I never paid much attention to the autoloading rifles or pistols as we cannot hunt with them in PA. The only semiauto we can hunt with is a shotgun and it must be plugged to only accept one in the chamber and two in the magazine.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

I never paid much attention to the autoloading rifles or pistols as we cannot hunt with them in PA. The only semiauto we can hunt with is a shotgun and it must be plugged to only accept one in the chamber and two in the magazine.

I'd prefer it were a bolt action but I sure wasn't complaining when trading. Put a scope on it today and it's a for sure tack driver. I think the squirrels and varmints is these here parts had best look out! Particularly the squirrels. I've had the hankering for some fried squirrel plus some squirrel and dumplings. Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Fire up the stove and get them squirrels ready I am headed to my truck to come out for fried squirrel. Oops I can't drive yet due to my eye but it was a good thought. Headed your way in Sept though and will take you up on the fried squirrel or the squirrel and dumplings. Some people call them tree rats but I call them chicken of the tree.

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Paul, seein' as you are in the mood for a drive, c'mon by my place, after you visit Norm. Make sure that you leave room for some of that fried up "tree rat" Posted Image When I was a little a few years less mellowed I hunted them in the oaks and blueberries, and the cast iron was never empty. I could live on tree rats. Posted Image

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Paul and Fred, you guys are like my blood brothers ya know. My door's always open and I'll keep some squirrels in the freezer. Posted Image I put an old Bushnell scope on it that we just had laying around but Jason just called me and told me he bought me a new scope. It's a $70 scope that he got for $19 because the package was damaged. It's also variable power aposed to the fixed power one I just slapped on the .22. My kids sure spoil me. Posted Image While home on leave Rhiannon bought us a brand new refrigerater though I told her not too.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 July 2010 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users