2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

The Savage Model 64F .22 doesn't come with the studs for sling swivels. The synthetic stock seems hollow and I'm a bit leery about trying to put studs in it. Foss, I know you said your son has one. Did it come with studs or did you put any on it? It's not a real big deal but I would like to have a sling on the rifle if possible. Anyone know if it can be done?

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

If you take the action out of the stock inspect it for bosses molded into it to accept swivel studs. That's where you need to drill for studs. IE. the center of those reinforced areas. Start with a small drill and work up one size at a time to drill the cleanest hole possible.

If it doesn't have those here is what I would do. I would drill a through hole that a steel threaded stud will just fit through. It's important you don't try and use the wood screw type for this! Put a washer on the inside and loctite (removal type) a nut (you'll have to buy this separately) on the end of the stud. I'd then use two part epoxy putty (the kind you squeeze and mold) and put it around the nut and washer to secure it to the stock. Careful not to get any putty on the threads of the stud!

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Edited by Leo, 20 July 2010 - 10:06 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

If you take the action out of the stock inspect it for bosses molded into it to accept swivel studs. That's where you need to drill for studs. IE. the center of those reinforced areas. Start with a small drill and work up one size at a time to drill the cleanest hole possible.

If it doesn't have those here is what I would do. I would drill a through hole that a steel threaded stud will just fit through. It's important you don't try and use the wood screw type for this! Put a washer on the inside and loctite (removal type) a nut (you'll have to buy this separately) on the end of the stud. I'd then use two part epoxy putty (the kind you squeeze and mold) and put it around the nut and washer to secure it to the stock. Careful not to get any putty on the threads of the stud!

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Thanks Leo. I found a set of threaded studs that accept nuts. They may work for just as you suggest. I really just need to pull the barrel off and see what is what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users