• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

The neighborhood is being overrun by skunks this year. Eric and I have permission from all the neighbors to shoot on their property as they also have permission to shoot skunks on ours. It is a bit of a challange to get them into a section of the yard that we can safely shoot them. I am not very skilled in herding skunks as I found out Friday night. We saw 4 skunks, missed one and the rest got away. Last night We got the first one we saw and then sneaked up on another that turned out to be a mommy and 2 young ones. As soon as the light hit them the mommy took off under some pines but the two little ones looked like they wanted to fight with their tails up at the ready position. We took the fight out of one and since we were using a single shot the other scooted away before Eric could reload. The little one was very stinky so we stuffed it down a groundhog hole and shoveled rocks and dirt on top. I'll bet that groundhog was blessing us all night. We also saw several rabbits out helping us mow the lawns and a opossum which was in a totally wrong place for a shot. When we hit it with the light it started running straight toward us and may have run over us but I yelled and it finally turned and ran back the way it came. At least none of the neighborhood housecats came up and rubbed out legs in the dark which happened to me many years ago and dog near gave me a heart attack. Infact I did not know I could jump so high from a standing position.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

Talk about Homeland Security! Posted Image

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

I was taught to shoot skunks through the ribcage with a 22lr so they were less likely to let go a blast of perfume. Dad learned as a youngster that a headshot could still produce an "aromic dryfire" so he passed this info to his trapline running sons. It always worked out fine....and once we tested the headshot theory with regrettable resultsPosted Image .

Posted Image

#4 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

That stinks!Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

Paul, I can see you and Eric walking around the neighborhood with a flashlight and a .22 calling here skunky skunky skunky.....LOL But seriously, I hope ya'll thin them out good. Nothing worse than letting the dog in to be greeted by THAT smell... Posted Image

Semper Fi

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

We use to have them often at my last home and they would be hanging around the garbage cans presumable looking for what fell out of the bags. I can remember taking the trash bag out one evening in the dark and have one behind the trash can come out at me. I threw the bag at him and hit him and it unloaded on the bag. So this brings up baiting them out where you can sit and shoot with out worry. Anything wrong with that idea?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I disussed with Eric about putting a can of cat food out in the back yard at a spot we can shoot but have not done it yet. I may try that on Thursday night for a Friday night foray. Phil I can tell you that a skunk hit with a 222 rem from behind can make a real stink. Will try a ribcage shot next time.

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I've used a 30 06 on em. Posted Image They smoke after you pull the trigger, and really clean out the nostrils. The only cure that I know of for the common cold. You breath real good after you dispose of the remains.Posted Image

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

I thought Eric was going to gag till we got rid of the remains. We stuffed one down a groundhog hole and shoveled some rocks and dirt on top I would bet that groundhog was down there blessing us all night. Lol Now I wonder what a 7mm mag would do??? Ooh Ooh what about a 50 cal muzzleloader. Hey this could get real fun.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Paul, I think you're having TOO much fun disposing of a nuisance animal LOL Who knows maybe ya'll can pick up some old gas masks at an Army/Navy store somewhere close and use them to keep from dealing with the smell after the kill... just a thought
Semper Fi

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

I can just see my neighbor stepping out on his deck and seeing a couple of aliens with guns and deciding to return fire.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

I can just see my neighbor stepping out on his deck and seeing a couple of aliens with guns and deciding to return fire.

Well, at least you two are legal aliens. Or are you??? :hmm: Hmmmmm, let me see your Green Cards! :tsk: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 July 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Now you are giving me ideas. No American in their right mind and can smell wants to dispose of old stinky. I wonder if an out of work undocumented visitor would be interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users