13 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Anyone have any luck using mechancals with an Xbow? I've had nothing but bad luck with those I've tried. I'm opting for Muzzy fixed blade 125 grain 3 blade 1 3/16" cut. I'll be using on the stock Horton Carbon Strike arrows from a Horton Legend XL 175. The bow shoots at aprox 316 fps. Wondering if at that speed if fixed blades will plane too bad? What broadheads do you guys using crossbows prefer and at what speeds you shooting them? Any advice apreciated.:)

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 July 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

For me personally the best flying mechanical head has been the Rocket Stricknine 125gr. If you want a really good flying fixed head try the Slicktrick Standard 125s. I'm super impressed with these heads.

I'd go with the Slicktricks standards for the higher speed stuff.

They also make a 175gr crossbow head.
Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

For me personally the best flying mechanical head has been the Rocket Stricknine 125gr. If you want a really good flying fixed head try the Slicktrick Standard 125s. I'm super impressed with these heads.

I'd go with the Slicktricks standards for the higher speed stuff.

They also make a 175gr crossbow head.

Thanks Leo. Much apreciated. :yes:

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Almost anything mechanical. Fixed blades, in my experience, seem to get squirrely on short crossbow bolts.With the forces most generate, there isn't much reason not to use them, IMO.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

My concern is that with the heavy draw weight of 175lbs that they open on firining. I've had that happen with my old Jennings devastator at 150lbs. Also, I've heard it said that I should be shooting at least a 125 gr head with a 175lb draw. Hard to find mechanicals over 100 gr. As for Fixed blades the new 175gr "Slicktrick" XBow Trick looks interesting. They are supose to fly like field points, at least according to advertisment. I can't spend a lot on mistakes so I want to make the right choice as best as possible.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

There are several manufacturers now making their mechanical broadheads in "high velocity" versions. (Some expressly for crossbow usage.) For many who do not, the solution is often as simple as two o-rings over the blades instead of one. (On broadhead models that utilize o-rings to begin with, obviously.)

My personal favorite is the Grim Reaper X-bow head. They've been tested to over 400 f.p.s. with no problems. Like many of their broadheads, the Grim Reaper X-Bow is available in weights up to 125 grains.

As an aside, the weight of broadhead for crossbow usage should come from the manufacturer's recommendation for each given model. Several manufacturers recommend 100 grain broadheads despite the poundage/velocity while others recommend 125 grain minimum. (It seems those recommending a 125 are just trying to keep the finished bolt weight up as high as they can.)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Jerimiah. I'll give Horton a call tomorrow and see what they recomend.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Norm the only broadhead I have used I bought at Cabelas and is a knockoff of some famous brand. They are a fixed broadhead and seem to shoot well out of my 165 lb PSE that I had a great deal of trouble finding a target to stop them without either a passthrough or sinking them to the fletching and losing the fletch. Mine fly so fast that I cannot see them in flight but at 20 -35 yds they all seem to hit the target straight on. I do have I believe 4 inch fletch on my arrows.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

Norm the NAP lineup of broadheads has some very interesting choices and the one that is new is the Blood Runner. It's a hybrid of sorts. NAP Broadheads. Then there is the AfterShock booster. It adds another 25 grains Aftershock to the head of the insert where the broadhead screws in to it. They also make a Xbow broadhead in 125 grains and you see it on the website. I have not used these products so I can not endorse the quality of them but I knew they were out there.

On the other hand I have a bow that shoots in the low 300 fps and don't have any problem with the mechanical heads I have shot out of them like the Rage or G5 T3. I also don't have a major issue with a fixed blades planing with a smaller profile 1 1/8" cut blade. The G5 Striker is one of those smaller profile fixed blade broadheads and the Slick Tricks are one as well.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

My son shoots an Excalibur Exocet at 175 lbs. His bolts are 23" 2216s with TH125s on the head. The choice of the 2216s were more a matter of convenience than planning, as they were the size of the largest quantity of old and damaged arrows that dear old dad had left over from years of compounding. He has had good consistant accuracy with that combo.

I am not a proponent of mega poundage crossbows over 175 lbs, as shooters tend to practise somewhat less due to the strain it takes to practice to the extent you should. And as you also mentioned, mega arrow speeds tend to cause all kinds of arrow dynamics to do strange things. I firmly believe that 175 lb crossbows will take any game animal in North America. I think a number of companies are making xbows in the 225 + range now, but unless you want to head to Africa after Ephalumps and woozuls and rhinerausolumps, I think it's overkill.

A good friend of mine used to have an Excomag at 200 lbs using mechanicals. I can't quite recall the broadhead name, but he near lost a 200 + lb buck using that combo solely from poor penetration at a very close range. It was his experience that basically turned me off to mechanicals.

My son borrowed a Jennings Devastator the first two or three years that we went moose hunting. I hope I don't offend anyone here who owns one or may have owned one of them, buy my opinion was that they were only second in pieces junk to the old Barnett Wildcat and the Barnett model made famous in one of the James Bond movies. We had nothing but bad luck, as did a number of other friends, with the Devastator. Very poor design and quality IMHO.

The TH125s have performed well for us. I would refrain from any head with a solid blade design, but I believe most are vented now anyways. I also like the longer bolts in thew 23 +" range for greater stability and cast.

The only cossbow that I own is one my grandfather made over 50 years ago, but I have never shot it. Most of my xbow observations and tinkering experience has been through working with my son's xbow and hunting with a good many friends who are all xbowers. Around here, Excalibur is by far the most popular crossbow you'll find in the woods or at the shoots.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#11 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

norm, I have done some testing on the NAP Bloodrunners and I found them to be extremely accurate. They fly like a dart and hit right with the field points. I will be doing a review of them in a September Issue of a online Magizine.

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

norm, I have done some testing on the NAP Bloodrunners and I found them to be extremely accurate. They fly like a dart and hit right with the field points. I will be doing a review of them in a September Issue of a online Magizine.

Dave did you test both the 3 blade and the 2 blade? I sure would like to read that review when you publish it so if you could pass that link to it back here that would be very much appreciated.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on y'all for good advice.:D This is a much nicer crossbow than I ever exspected to have and I want to do things right. I'm really looking forward to hunting with it and, though I'm mainly a meat hunter, I hope to put at least one nice buck on the wall while I'm still able. I figure that as nice a bow as it is it don't really mean much if I don't use the right arrow and broadhead set up.

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

[quote] My son borrowed a Jennings Devastator the first two or three years that we went moose hunting. I hope I don't offend anyone here who owns one or may have owned one of them, buy my opinion was that they were only second in pieces junk to the old Barnett Wildcat and the Barnett model made famous in one of the James Bond movies. We had nothing but bad luck, as did a number of other friends, with the Devastator. Very poor design and quality IMHO.

Don't sweat it bud. I'll tell you though, either you guys had very bad luck or I had very good. I used my Jennings Devastator for over 12 years without any problems at all. The only maintenace was simply keeping the string waxed. It was very accurate but just too darn heavy. That's the main reason I got rid of it, though I'll admit, I kinda miss it. My Horton Legend XL 175 is a much nicer bow though. It's a lot quieter and better ballanced, not to mention quite a bit faster and sharper looking too and has a much nicer scope. :D I am soooo looking forward to hunting with it.

As to broadheads, I'll probably choose from what I can find locally at Bass Pro. I hate buying stuff online. I like to have the item in my hand when payed for. That way I know what I'm buying.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 July 2010 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users