4 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Just finisehd "Hunting Trophy Antelope" by Mike Eastman. He recommends DeLorme Topo USA 6.0 for mapping software because it comes with 1:25,000 scale topo maps with both BLM and Hunt Area Maps overlays.

If that's true, this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I can print my own custome maps with BLM and Hunt Area borders for both my Wyoming and Colorado hunts.

Anyone actually use this software?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

I was hoping someone had...

I haven't, my friend. To be honest, I use my GPS anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I actually used a map to orient. When I do glance at physical maps - usually for the purpose of drawing things on them and so on - they're generally DeLorme maps though.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Supposedly - won't know until the software arrives - if you buy the annual service ($25) you can download aerial shots as well as BLM boundaries and hunt area boundaries.

I went ahead and bought a used 6.0 set, because the newer versions have added city info at the expense of backwoods info...at least that's what the blogs are saying.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

A number of years ago when I hunted in New Mexico which is a real patchwork of National, BLM and state land my son-in-law had a number of different maps to include platt maps that were invaluable to us. New Mexico is all laid out in squares and once you find a corner marker you can tell exactly where you are and where the open land is in relation to that location. What we found out at several locations was that the rancher who pastured cattle on blm land had posted the land. Infact one rancher tried to run us off a piece of blm land that he used and claimed as his. When we got out the maps and proved him wrong he then said he just did that to keep the mexicans from hunting there cause they don't read the maps as well as we did. We even found out the ranchers gated several public roads. Ranchers will say their ranch is 12,000 or maybe 15,000 acres but when you ask how many are deeded acres most times it will be only several hundred. Without those maps we could have never found the public lands that we hunted.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

You know we found the same to be true in Wyoming. The place we hunted was posted, but our maps proved otherwise. I met the cowboy running that part of BLM with cattle on the last day, but he was very polite and nice. The signs are just a deterrent - rule of the land is "Know Where You Are".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users