8 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

Okay, after last years Elkatraz I was convinced that I needed a faster smoother shooting bow. You see I couldn't take a shot at a nice 4 X 4 due to the raise and drop of my slower bow (only 235 fps w/450g arrow at 70 lbs) would have hit a tree branch (McBruce Style). When he got close to clearing the Colorado wind swirled and I was done for.

Now for the question....

Say you had about $400 and was looking to upgrade from your old double hatchet cam jobby; what would you look at? I can't spend $700 if I want to sleep in the house. I wanted something better then I have or there would be no reason to buy something.

What would you look at?

Any input on Diamond now that Bowtech owns them? How about AR or High County?

I know you guys with money like those expensive Mathews things. I can't afford that so don't even go there.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Hi Charles !
Last weekend JGabel brought his new Browning Mirage(I think that was the model)
to our getogether up at camp. I couldn't believe what a nice shooting & quiet bow . He insisted I give it a try and at 25 yards I shot a golf sized group with the 1st 6 arrows, cutting a couple of vanes. It certainly is a dang nice bow for what he paid !
You should talk to him and it's right in the price range you're looking at. ;)
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

Charles, MDturbonockhunter shoots a Newberry bow which seemed to perform quite well up at camp. Maybe a post or email to him will let you know their cost too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

My opinion... Rob a bank or some old lady for another $100 and then RUN as fast as you can to Sportman's Warehouse, Pittsburgh to see me ASAP. We are clearancing the '05 Kodiak BowLogics and the things are phenomenal for the price, but we're down to our last 3. For starters, you get a perimeter weighted single cam, machined aluminum riser, and all of that "high end" design stuff. But, it's also a package bow. You will get a micro-adjust drop away rest, micro-adjust 5 pin fiber optic sight, and 7.5" Doinker stabilizer. (If you look up the average going rates on these products, you're looking at prices that will start at $100 for any micro-adjust sight or rest and even the Doinker stabilizer averages $65.) You just can't beat the price for everything that you get including the quality of the accessories.

My personal opinion on Diamond... They're slow as molasses in winter time, especially compared to their big brother, BowTech. But, if you don't mind, I don't mind. They're smooth and shoot nicely. Frankly, I think you should stop in and see me regardless because we carry the bows you're asking about and more and certainly can meet your price range as well as let you shoot before you buy.

As an FYI, we just got two new BowTech exclusives to Sportsman's Warehouse this past week. One is the 2007 BowTech Vital Impact (a package bow for $459.99) which is based off of the 2006 BowTech TomCat and the 2007 Patriot II (bare bow for $649.99) which is based off of the 2006 BowTech Tribute! (The only difference is it's a single cam instead of sporting the binary cam system. Personally, I prefer that for tuning and @ 29" draw w/ a 365 grain arrow we were chronographing the bow at 300 f.p.s. so it's not slow like the Diamond single cams.)

So, the only question is, when are you coming? :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:31 AM

How about a used Mathews Outback. One of the best bows ever made, in my opinion, its only second to the switchback xt.

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

The fella still has some left.
$319 plus $14 shipping I think.
Set to length and weight of your choice and shipped the same day.
I ordered my on a Monday morning and UPS droped it at my house the next afternoon.
When I ordered mine it came with a sight and quiver.
I think it just comes with a quiver right now.
If ya want the link let me know.

Edited by J Gabel, 03 July 2006 - 07:35 PM.

#7 Thrillbilly

Thrillbilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:42 AM

Take a look at the Whisper Creek Archery Line of bows too. Nice stuff. Here a link:

Whisper Creek Innovator

Or you can also go extreme with the Liberty 1 Bow!

Edited by Thrillbilly, 04 July 2006 - 07:50 AM.

Posted Image
Genius without education is like Silver in a mine. Benjamin Franklin

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

Charles my friend.

Not ALL the Diamonds are slowpokes. Look at the Diamond Triumph. This is very close to the same bow as my Bowtech Extreme Solo. It's rated IBO is 318fps. That makes it no slouch for a single cam. The 65% letoff model is the faster of the options.

In my experience 280fps is about as fast as you want to drive a broadhead. ;)

Diamond at Basspro
Posted Image

#9 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

I just purchased a Matthews Switchback 05 model off of eBay. The newer Switchbacks are a little slower more user friendly is what I have been told. A Bow Tech, Hoyt, Mathews are all great choices. You have to remember that the IBO speed rating is rated for the longest draw length of that bow. The speed drops with shorter draw length. Will you notice a differnce, probably not. The Browning's are made by PSE, for Browning. Its pretty much what do you like, If you can go to a pro shop and shoot a couple of different bows, do it. Don't fell like you have to purchase it just because you shot it.
I took my bow to a pro shop after I purchased it off of eBay and was told I got a killer deal on it. He wished that I would have bought it from him but it didn't matter one way or another. He knew I would buy arrows and such for the bow, and would probably service it with a new string here and there. He also told me a little more about the bow which I didn't know yet.
Good luck with your choice. Browse in eBay see whats available. It doesn't cost anything to look. It just makes it harder to decide on what you want. :thumbsup:
I would suggest to stay with parallel limbs.
PS I didn't think I could afford a Mathews either look into eBay they had a lot of Legacy which are still a great bow to own.

Edited by GP@AZ, 08 July 2006 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users