3 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

I know a few of you hunt with crossbows. Now this is not a debate thread on should they or should they not be used. I'm just wondering who shoots what and how well it works for you? Also, what game have you taken with it? Lets see some pics too. I've a new one but I took several Whitetails with my old Jennings Devastator. My new bow is;

Horton Legend XL 175

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

Mine is a PSE Viper Rattler. Draws 165 lbs and I have not shot anything but a target with it. I did miss a doe two years ago when the arrow hit a small limb. Absolutely killed the arrow.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

I'm not a xbowyer, but my son shoots an Excalibur Exocet at 175 lbs. I've been his tinker-smith so to speak since he got it. He's tagged a couple black bears, 3 bull moose, a 200 lb whitetailed buck, a few groundhogs and a heap of ruffed grouse with it. If I remember correctly, I think he and I even tag-teamed on another bull moose as well. He absulutely loves it.

My crossbow is a 50 or 60 year old home-made xbow that my grandfather made. He was a blacksmith by trade, and I believe the prod was made from the leaf spring of a car or truck. I think that's what my dad told me some 40 years ago. I've never shot it and haven't put a scale on it to see what kind of poundage it will produce, but hope to some day if I get adventerous. Here's a pic of my grandfather's crossbow hanging proudly in my mancave.

Posted Image

I'll post a couple pics of my son's xbow with a couple of his moose as soon as I can upload the pics.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

Here's a pic of my son with his 2004 55" Ontario Moose and his Excocet:

Posted Image

And here's him and a buddy with their moose they tag-teamed on last fall. It's a 54.5"er:

Posted Image

Of course I credit all that moose meat to one great guide and moose caller extrodinaire (hehehe)!

Geoff / TBow (family moose guide and caller)
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users