• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

I was watching Dave W Sunday evening and he was hunting turkeys. He was having a tough time and mentioned that a big old box call used as his last resort was a gift from none other than Jeremiah R. Oh by the way it did not work either. Dave did mention that it sounded terrible. Guess the gobblers way off in the distance did not like it either as they did not respond. I do believe it was operator error.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

When he stuck it out the window and cranked on it as loud as he could he said it did work. (It was inside the blind it didn't. Too windy of a day I gather was the problem.)

Of course, yes, there were also some operator issues. :lol:
As you probably know, a paddle-style call is meant to be run quite differently from a typical box call. The arc of the lid and side rail are almost flat. This enables calls such as the yelp to be formed over a much longer sweep of the lid than on a typical box call. The purpose of this is to provide a higher-pitched call with greater volume that is generally used as a locator or long-distance call. Almost the entire length of the rail should be utilized with each sweep and the lid should never leave contact with the rail even on the backstroke when returning to start. (That's where most folks lose it, by the way. They feel they must lift the lid off of the rail to return to starting position - as is normal with a typical box call - and all they end up doing is losing the entire feel for the call and the angle of the paddle; bearing in mind that there is no spring between paddle and box. The lid is simply free-floating. So, it's easy to get off track if you break contact.)

No matter how many times you try to explain it and/or demonstrate the proper use of a paddle-style turkey box call, some folks just don't get it. In fairness to DW, he never did get the full instructional run-down from yours truly. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Windy days are where loud calls really shine for me. Just remember the gobblers have to be downwind of you to hear the calls and you will not be able to hear them.
Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Interesting rerun episode and it ended well and I'd say opinions were getting in the way and making the hunt more of a challenge than it was. The last seen showed how tuff those birds were to get close to. :rofl: :rofl:
Well Jeremiah did you get any requests from the show for a box call? Wasn't the best advertising for the product.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Nope. Well, scratch that. I did have one guy ask to buy and another guy ask if I could donate one for a sportsman's banquet. I haven't made calls for 7 or 8 years now though. So, both were denied.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

When my son and I hunted in Kansas we went to a spot where I had seen turkeys during deer season but never hunted turkey there. We walked to the far end of the field which was 700 to 800 yds from where we entered the field. After sitting there for a while Eric said "Dad two turkeys are up at the far end of the field where we came in". They were so far away it took me looking with 10 power binos to see they were both longbeards. I have a Lynch box call and cranked it as loud as I could. The one bird would answer every time I called. We did not hear his responses but could plainly see him stretch his neck out and clearly was gobbling. I was truly amazed that those birds could hear us even if we could not hear them. Those were the two birds we scored a double on the next afternoon.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I have a rather nice one sitting right here. :) One of my few treasured items, because it came from a great friend. ;)

"Good Luck and Good Hunting"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users