• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Ok here is a question I have been tossing around in my head for a while. Does anyone use a lead sled or other similar recoil stopping contraption. I do not but always wondered if a rifle sighted in on one of those keeps the same poi when shot from the shoulder. In my mind the rifle will shoot different between the two
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

In my experience, P.O.I does change, how dramatic depends on how consistent one shoulders the gun each time.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

I have one. I used it to sight in three guns, 12 ga..slug gun, 50 cal muzzle loader and a .243. Once I was in the 10 circle or better I then would shoulder shoot it off a bench support. Those two larger bore guns tend to put a welp on me if I shoot them alot and that's why I have a lead sled.
My accuracy was still good or good enough to hunt with but maybe not good enough to compete with a marksmen. :shifty:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Well I can answer my own question now. My youngest son Rick was at a NWTF banquet and got a lead sled type of rest. This one is a Boyt and has a nice padded foreend adjustable feet fore and aft and a fine tune adjustment what I really like is how the rear is made. It has two leather covered steel uprights to hold the buttstock and leather across the back to stop the rifle but lets it recoil a little. That should make it more like shooting from the shoulder than a solid metal stop at the back. We only tried it with a 25 souper which is also known as a 25-308. It worked well with that rifle. He left it here so I may try it with my muzzleloader as I know how it shoots from the shoulder. More later.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users