#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

A couple days I got a good deal on a new ladder stand. http://www.woodburyo...TLS10-P723.aspx

I have a prime spot to put it, but the only problem is that it is a bit of a trek out to the tree. Especially since I will probably have to carry it in piece by piece considering it weighs about 50 lbs. So I was wondering if I would be able to save the hassle of carrying it back out this winter by leaving it up over the winter?

Does anyone have a ladder stand that they leave up all year? How do they hold up? Or is it a bad idea? I don't need to worry about it getting it stolen where I hunt.

On a side note, I set up one of my hang ons today and had two does walk right in front of the tree. It's looking good:hunter:

-Eric

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

A couple days I got a good deal on a new ladder stand. http://www.woodburyo...TLS10-P723.aspx

I have a prime spot to put it, but the only problem is that it is a bit of a trek out to the tree. Especially since I will probably have to carry it in piece by piece considering it weighs about 50 lbs. So I was wondering if I would be able to save the hassle of carrying it back out this winter by leaving it up over the winter?

Does anyone have a ladder stand that they leave up all year? How do they hold up? Or is it a bad idea? I don't need to worry about it getting it stolen where I hunt.

On a side note, I set up one of my hang ons today and had two does walk right in front of the tree. It's looking good:hunter:

Jason and I have two "Buddy" ladderstands up that stay out year round. One has been out 10 years and the other 6. The thing to watch for is your ratchet straps, that cinch it to the tree, will eventualy dry rot. Also you'll need to check and tighten loose bolts as regular maintenance. Other than that they hold up good. Of course cammo material used as skirting will have to be replaced periodicly and, during off season, we bring the seat cushions home . Oh, and your ladder will eventualy start to sink into the ground. We put flat rocks under each leg to aleviate that problem. We also use high quality cables to lock our stands to the trees to help prevent theft. It takes a hefty pair of bolt cutters to cut one. We once had an anti hunter neighbor destroy a stand by cutting it into pieces in order to get it off the tree. A strategicly placed trail cam got him a visit from both the game warden and the cops. Hard to deny something when pics prove otherwise! Best of luck this season Eric. Wishing you both success and safe hunts. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 29 July 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

My son Eric left one out on our lease which is way back in the woods but about 2 weeks before the next season it disappeared. Most all of the tree stands are left out elsewhere on the lease and no problem. We do check them before season for all the things Spirithawk mentioned.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

The TMA and most treestand manufacturers recommend that any stand be left in the woods no longer than two weeks at a time. (TMA - Tip Number Nine) Simple temperature change (from day to night and back again) in the extremes of early fall (depending upon the area one lives) can cause trees (and the stand itself) to expand and contract enough to damage certain parts.

With that said, personally, I feel that two weeks maximum in the woods is not a very realistic outlook for treestand usage. I usually set my stands at least two to three weeks prior to a given season. Personally, if I go through all of that work then the stand is going to stay in all season. (Which is generally around 6 weeks long.) I understand that I am going against a sound safety practice in doing this and accept the fact that I may have to face a consequence for doing so one day.

One last consideration for me... Is the stand made of steel or aluminum?
If aluminum, I feel fairly comfortable leaving them up a little longer.
If steel, they are usually showing rust after just a couple weeks. I try to Rustoleum them (inside... as this is where most manufacturers skimp and the rust takes hold). Hardware such as the bolts are generally replaced with stainless stuff every year on every stand other than my climber(s).

:2cents:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I had a climber from cabelas (brand name), weighed a ton. one day I had a sore back and stashed it in some bushes & tall grass on the game lands. It was gone the next day. If your on public land I wouldnt leave it out long. On private land only if you trust your neighbors. My brother in law had to get a bear shield for his trail camera's and lag bolt it to the trees because of a neighbor was sneaking over and stealing the cameras he had around the food plot we put in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users