• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

My son and I have gotten into doing some long range target shooting, and the technical aspects of reloading the cartridges to do it. It sure seems that the more you learn, you find out how little one really knows,lol. Anyway, we are having a "blast" doing it, covering some country going to matches, and getting to meet some really great Americans along the way. We mainly shoot the big guns at 1000yds, but have run across individuals who do Palma style {i guess thats what it is called} shooting, trying to make national team. Kinda interesting http://www.palma.org/. Also, some are trying to make this team http://www.usfclass.com/home.aspx . Now, we dont even begin to think that we are anywhere near what these folks can do, we just travel about having fun, but what a wealth of info we have gleaned from these shooters. If you ever get a chance to attend any long range shooting competition, do it, Great people that can do amazing things with their rifles. As we have learned, its a whole lot more than just chunkin lead downrange,lol.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

Eric and I went to a 1000 yd shoot near Williamsport, PA and yes they are a fine bunch of folks. They are willing to help you in a minute too. I recall that there was a 14 yr old girl shooting that day and if the best shooters were just a little off that day she would clean their clocks. That young girl could flat out shoot. We had a lot of fun that day and promised each other we would go back but have not made it yet.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

This is where Dan and I got started, http://www.fcsa.org/...itors/about.php . There were some young teens shooting the .50s, parents were helping to set the guns up, but the young ladies and gents did their own shooting, and very well at that also. What interests us both the most, is the Hows, Whys and Wherefores of consistently putting a bullet in a target at 1 m.o.a or less, at that distance. Under good conditions, in tournaments, we have done 1.2 to 1.7 moa, in practice, we have a 5 shot .7 moa, but again, still working on the consistancy. Its hard where we live, no 1000yd ranges for 600 miles,lol so its going to take some time, but i guess thats part of the adventure

#4 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

mudd if you don't mind me asking, what caliber and load are you using. I know the higher the ballistic coefficient the better long range accuracy. A friend that is toying around shooting long range uses a program on his palm pilot to calculate the adjustments. The is program is Patagonia Ballistics
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Robert, .50BMG , LAR Grizzley rifle, 750Gr. A max bullets, 210grs of hodgdon h 50 powder, muzzle velocity of 2750-2800 fps, at 13000 ft pounds of energy, around 1300-1400 fps at 1000yds. We used, and still do, the Hornady Ballistic calculator. We sighted in at 200yds, calculator said to come up 24 clicks and put us at 3 o'clock in the 7 ring on first shot. at a 1000yds. Now our scope has a set adjustment we used at 200, so when shooting 6-7-8 hundred yds etc., we just back down to the 200yd setting and use the calculator to adjust, height is usually real good, windage takes a little practice, although you can enter wind speed into the equation, it is usually never consistant over the entire distance. use a ballistic coefficient of 1.05 on the calculator

Edited by mudduck, 01 August 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Glad you're having such a grand time with your son Jeff. :D

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I recently had a unique conversation with my bro-in-law Jack about long range shooting. Talk about a scoffer. He contends that no one can reliably hit a deer size target at those extreme ranges. Of course he has never seen guys shoot at those looong distances. When I said that I not only have seen those guys shoot at at 1000 yds but actually know one of the competitors. That shooter can consistantly turn in a less than moa groups at that distance. The day we were there he shot just over a 7 inch group and that was not a 3 or even a 5 shot group but a 10 shot group. When I said that group was just not quite good enough to win that day Jack just shook his head and said it could not be done. No one can dope the wind and elevation to consistantly be accurate at long distance. I told him that a 14 yr old girl shot a 10 inch group the day I was there and not to scoff till he sees those fine shooters in action.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users