3 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

my wife got me a new muzzloader for this year and i was thinking of switching powders. i shot 777 in my old gun but thought i might give blackhorn a try. has anyone tried it?, and is it worth the higher cost? around here 777 is $19.99 a pound and blackhorn 209 is $29.99 for 10oz. also are the 777 primers any good at stopping the crud ring? thanks for any help.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

I have not used either of those powders. Are you using 777 in powder form or pellet. I have read of more than a few people that really like the Blackhorn but all seem to complain of the cost. Again I do not use 209 primers to ignite any loads so I can't help you much.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

I switched to 777 from Pyrodex and it's a big improvment in my Optima Pro. But to be honest, I shot loose Pioneer Powder in my old Knight MK-85 and miss it. It was the cleanest powder I've shot yet. Haven't tried Blackhorn though. I'd search the various muzzleloader forums and see what's said about it. Also do a search for reviews on it. Jason and I use 777 primers and I can't honestly say if they reduce the crud ring or not. They are the only primers we've used on 209 rifles.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have shot Blackhorn 209. Its a great powder but it has some strange qualities. First, you need a closed breech rifle to shoot it. The Optima, Accura, Triumph, Omega, are all good blackhorn 209 shooters. But rifles like the T/C Black Diamond, Staghorn, Buckhorn, White rifles are open breech and not made to shoot that powder. When you do, the powder will blow the primer back in your face.

Blackhorn is powerful. So you can cut you load back. Also there is no need to swab the bore when shooting BlackHorn 209. Be sure to compress the sabot very hard on the powder charge as it needs to be compressed much harder then the other powder. Also no water should be used with this powder for cleaning or swabbing. The only thing you clean the bore with is a good quality solvent. It cleaned like modern powder.

Accuracy is exceptional with the powder and it is a consistent powder. But be sure to use a good hot primer as it is hard to light. I only shot off two jugs. Cabela's has it on sale in the store for $19.99 right now.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users