7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

The safest way to de-###### your crossbow is to shoot an arrow into the ground or into a target. Shooting carbon arrows into the ground is dangerous because if they hit a rock they can shatter. I ran accross this de-cocking arrow, on Horton's site, that is not a bad idea. Made from solid fiberglass this 20" shaft is virtually "indestructible" and designed specifically for de-cocking your crossbow. Bright orange vanes makes this arrow easy to find. Blunt tip (not Included) allows for easy arrow recovery from target or ground. The price averages around $10. Anyone try one of these?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

Dad just carries an unfletched aluminum w/ a field point.
A solid fiberglass sounds nice.
Too bad his xbow calls for 22" length.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

Dad just carries an unfletched aluminum w/ a field point.
A solid fiberglass sounds nice.
Too bad his xbow calls for 22" length.

I just use an old slightly warped aluminum arrow with messed up fletchings myself. I usualy have a few around or just an arrow shot a few times that I don't trust for hunting. One of my favorite hunting spots has one sticking up out of the ground. I shot it into the ground and went to pull it out only to discover I'd nailed a tree root under the surface. :lol: Luckily my Horton shoots a 20" so I might order a fiberglass one as I'm now shooting all new arrows. A blunt tip sounds like a good idea too.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 August 2010 - 07:21 PM.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Norm, I always shot whatever kind of arrow I was hunting with into the ground with a field point on it.... I had a few areas that had soft enough ground that it was pretty safe to do so. If you have the upper body strength you can grab the string with both hands and pull the trigger with your thumbs, it takes quick reflexes to do so, but....I got to where I could do it this way for a while, nowadays I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I've shot aluminum, fiberglass and carbon into the ground though with no dire consequences . (back when I got my Horton Stag in '98 they came with some really cheap fiberglass arrows) The only arrows I messed up were on the targets. I would just pick a good spot that has moderately soft ground with a low probability of hitting a rock..... like a well manicured yard or field that has been plowed a few times.
Semper Fi

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

If I am by myself I either find a soft ground spot or remove the arrow and shoot it at home. If I am with someone I use the Rope device and hold tight while they pull the trigger and let it down easy. I would never trust myself to be able to catch the string while pulling the trigger myself. Too much possibility of getting a dry fire that way.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Paul, it's harder to explain than to demonstrate.... the whole thing about catching it isn't really accurate... it's more like holding in place.... It's not hard, but takes strong fingers.
Semper Fi

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

I use to let my Jennings Devastator down like that. Untilllllll the day my grip just didn't grip. The string like to took my fingers off, and did take some skin, not to mention it coming dangerously close to a dry fire. My hand hurt for two weeks after that little slip! That was with a 150Lb draw. No way will I even atempt to try it with a 175lb draw. If Jason is with me he usualy puts his foot in the stirup, holds the string with both hands and then has me pull the trigger. He then eases the string down. It still makes me nervous though. Bad thing about shooting into the ground is that you never know what lies just below the surface. I hit a rock once, about an inch deep, and the arrow bounced back and struck me in the leg. That has me a bit nervous about shooting into the ground any more. I'm thinking of simply throwing a bag target in the truck or on the atv and firing into it after hunting. I've got an old one that is perfect for the job. I've survived way to much to end up shooting myself with an arrow. Besides, being Cherokee, that would ruin my reputation and be down right embarressing! ;) :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 August 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

Norm, I understand. But I don't remember if I told you or not..... My great grandmother on my dad's mom's side was full blood Cherokee ;). I haven't tried it in years because I got my first compound about 6 years ago... and haven't shot the xbow much since... But I could hold with both hands, and pull the trigger with my thumbs.... Bout to start call today, so I probably won't be on here much for about a week.....Have a good one til I get back.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users