12 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Was just thinking I have asked this one in awhile for you folks who bowhunt and use a release. Let's talk releases if you got one. I'd like your opinions on your choice and why you use it. :stir: :stir: It's getting close to the beginning of bow season and now is the time to be practicing if you haven't been already. That release can make or break a dead-on shot. I know some will say why fix what ain't broke so why change now. You never know if you don't check out what's new. If your bow shop will let you test drive a new one maybe it's time to look around. Let's here your :2cents:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

I use a basic Tru-Fire Patriot. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done
-Eric

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

I switched to a Carter "Like Mike" back in early spring of this year. I had been using a Carter Chocolate Lite for everything from indoor spots to hunting. But, I decided to look into making the switch because was having increasing difficulty with hand strength/dexterity (arthritis). So, I figured if the Like Mike could give me a similar trigger in a wrist strap release that I would try it. I do miss using a thumb release. I really liked just having it clipped onto my D-loop in the ground blind at the ready. Of course, now the release is on my person so I have less chance of forgetting it. (As I usually strap it on at the truck.) Trade-offs... Always trade-offs. All told, the Like Mike has actually been a very pleasant surprise. I like it so much and shoot it so well that I now use one for everything from hunting to indoor spots... Oh, and 70 yard outdoor insanity. :lol:

So, what are you shooting? :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

What are the advantages of shooting a thumb release? Or is it just preference?

-Eric

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

I use the Carter Quickie Release. It's an open jaw like Jeremiah's "Like Mike". I went with the buckle strap. I don't trust nor do I have much luck with velcro being repeatable enough for me.

Open jaw is the way to go for a hunting release in my honest opinion. It's quick quiet and plenty accurate enough.

Carter makes good stuff. This will be this releases second trip to Africa coming up next week.
Posted Image

#6 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I use a truball Copperhead. It has the forward extended trigger.

#7 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

Scott Mongoose

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

I tend to do more spot an stalking while hunting. Thus, I get sweaty. I cannot stand wrist style releases and the sticky wet feeling that come with them. I use a Scott grip caliber release...and love it!

here's a link:
http://www.cabelas.c...r:referralID=NA:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Some years back I stopped using a wrist strap release because I never could get comfortable with it sliding and slipping around and changing my draw length or anchor. Plus with heavy and bulking clothes on it was a challenge to reach it. Once I tried a hand held release or a thumb trigger release all those issues went away.

This summer I picked up on a new thumb style release by Carter, the Whisper release is an open hook release. An open hook does get your attention and kind of hard to get use to having my d-loop not totally enclosed like on most all the other releases I've used. This release is quieter than my other Carter releases or my Spot Hogg releases. When releasing the arrow the click action of the mechanics going off in my ear would drown out the bow noise in my right ear. The Whisper release does not do it near as much. It has the crisp trigger release and little movement in the trigger like most all of the Carter releases. The best test I can put this threw is coming up this fall season.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

I have a buckle style wrist strap, caliper release made by tru-fire/team realtree,for hunting, I also have a tru-ball BT-Gold backtension that I'm working on learning a little better for tournaments. I like both, but going from the caliper to the backtension is a little tricky because the caliper is familiar, it's what I'm use to... but when it comes time to replace the tru-fire I'll get the same type of release.
Semper Fi

#11 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

I've been using a Carter Two Shot since 2005 and I'm very happy with it. When the time comew to get a new release, it will definitely be a Carter.

#12 Straightedge

Straightedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Early American History, Archery and Bowhunting, Faith and Family

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

Switched to a Scott Wildcat about three months ago. My previous release was a dual caliper wrist strap type, but I was looking for something a little shorter to change my anchor point. The Wildcat fit that bill; there is a short distance between the jaws and the trigger.

Edited by Straightedge, 19 August 2010 - 05:10 AM.

#13 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

Jim Fletcher Fletch Hunter Concho here....love it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users